The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Iggys with horses?

Limepez

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi.

I am looking at getting an italian greyhound and have done hours and hours of research trawling the internet and also advise from a friend to help ensure it is the right breed for me. I have, of course, found lots of conflicting opinions!! :)

One thing I am struggling with...............It seems it is not advised to let IGs of the lead, however I see lots of people talking about them running for miles across country and that if trained correctly they have no problems with recall. What are other peoples experiences????

Also, I wondered if anybody has these dogs around horses?

I have regularly ridden with lurchers, staffies and parsons terriers who enjoy joining me in the countryside and cope around horses very well. Is this practical with a IG (obviously wearing suitable clothing to keep warm) or would I just be asking for trouble????

I would be greatfull for any advice!

Thankyou

Hi, I have an 10 year old Italian Greyhound and had her since she was a puppy 8 weeks old.

Lots of people try to tell you what you can and cant do with an IG but 99% is exaggerated, like not having any recall and could brake a leg just walking up the stairs. Let me tell you none of it is true, so long as you walk them off lead while they are a puppy and teach them recall they will actually listen extremely well and if you walk them instead of carry them like lots of people do they will develop muscles and are no more prone to breaking a leg as any other dog. As for riding out with in IG, I never tried it with mine because she thinks she is invincible and would have probably gotten under the Horses hoofs. Hope I have helped you a little bit with your decision.

Cheers

Brian

Thankyou for your reply Brian!

I will definitely not be treating an IG like a handbag dog so this info has been happily received regarding recall ;-)

I have found with dogs before that, as long as introduced early, they can be taught some 'horse sense' but reading so many 'dont do's' I think I have begun to over analyse every bit of info I can find!!!

Thanks

X

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back