The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

In Season Bitches

T Hoare

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
The last 2 shows I have been to, have had in season bitches being shown :rant: . Both were VERY clearly in season.

While it is not a written rule, it is only proper that bitches in FULL season especially, are left at home.

This is unfair on male dogs AT the show aswell as the judge who has to go over the girls. Quite often the bitch does not move correctly either(would you in this condition).

had this at a show where the bitch was in front of my male and i should have just removed him from the ring tbh but as he was young i tried to persevere but it just upset him , so i asked the steward what to do and she asked the owner if her bitch was in season , to which she said no i think she is due though!!!! so nothing was done :angry:

I wouldn't take a bitch in season to a show, which is why I was so pleased that Bluebell came into season with good time to get over it in time for Crufts, there is no way I would have considered taking her to Crufts in Season.

Its unfair on the boys and to the bitch, Blue certainly feels rough when in season and wouldn't like to be pestered by boys...she's an innocent little girl my Bluebell is :D :D

I thought this was indeed a written rule. Surely I have seen wording in show schedules to the effect that bitches in season should not be shown (as well as a notice that mating on the show premises is prohibited)

usually when the dogs are attracted to bitches at shows it is bitches who have just come out of season or are just coming in (maybe owners just realised that day that the bitches were starting a season) - so that's understandable, but showing a bitch when she's in full season is definitely not on.

I thought this was indeed a written rule. Surely I have seen wording in show schedules to the effect that bitches in season should not be shown (as well as a notice that mating on the show premises is prohibited)
usually when the dogs are attracted to bitches at shows it is bitches who have just come out of season or are just coming in (maybe owners just realised that day that the bitches were starting a season) - so that's understandable, but showing a bitch when she's in full season is definitely not on.
I'm affraid not, if only. Only the piece about mating of bitches.

I'm affraid not, if only. Only the piece about mating of bitches.
I think it is very unsporting to show in-season bitches from all sorts of points of view.

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

Am i right in thinking the in season bitch is more likely to pick up infections? Thats what i thought - therefore i wouldnt dream of taking mine anywhere that wasnt necessary! Iv not had to cross that bridge yet, Tia's first season was over christmas and there were no shows. I was just preparing to miss the shows that clashes with her season.

Am i right in thinking the in season bitch is more likely to pick up infections? Thats what i thought - therefore i wouldnt dream of taking mine anywhere that wasnt necessary! Iv not had to cross that bridge yet, Tia's first season was over christmas and there were no shows. I was just preparing to miss the shows that clashes with her season.
I had litter sisters that always came in together & missed at least 3 champ shows with them once(around £100)!!

It is unfortunate when a bitch comes in season just before a show - some Bitches may be regular and you may be able to predict when the bitch is due but what about the irregular Bitch?

Should an exhibitor be expected to be £25+ out of pocket just so someone else's Dog, which at Ch shows are either in another ring or have been judged, may be affected?
dadvocate.jpg

Where there are mixed classes there is an argument in favour of not exhibiting an in season Bitch but these are (usually) lower cost so you wouldn't be so out of pocket.

Maybe there should be facility for recompense if a Bitch has to be withdrawn as she is in season - or where any dog has to be withdrawn for health reasons? I do not think that is realistic

It is unfortunate when a bitch comes in season just before a show - some Bitches may be regular and you may be able to predict when the bitch is due but what about the irregular Bitch?Should an exhibitor be expected to be £25+ out of pocket just so someone else's Dog, which at Ch shows are either in another ring or have been judged, may be affected?
dadvocate.jpg

Where there are mixed classes there is an argument in favour of not exhibiting an in season Bitch but these are (usually) lower cost so you wouldn't be so out of pocket.

Maybe there should be facility for recompense if a Bitch has to be withdrawn as she is in season - or where any dog has to be withdrawn for health reasons? I do not think that is realistic
It may stop folk taking in season bitches BUT would be wide open for abuse.

I have never exhibited bitch in season, in Europe it is against rules, and I would not feel comfortable about it here in OZ. Maybe once she is almost finished, at some important show. And , yes it is annoying to pay the entries and then not being able to show, but that is how it is. In this moment i have Claudia entered in several shows and she is lame. I do not think there is chance of her being OK by this weekend. If you start asking for money back for bitch in season, why not for one that injured herself?

I used to have a problem with my male Borzois who would be very interested in sniffing the ground in the ring, rather than moving with their heads high. No doubt bitches in season, who were in the ring before us, had something to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should an exhibitor be expected to be £25+ out of pocket just so someone else's Dog

I think they should, a dog doesn't have to have his face next to the bitch's rear end to sense that she's in season, so why should some 100 dogs lose out at a show.

Should an exhibitor be expected to be £25+ out of pocket just so someone else's Dog

I think they should, a dog doesn't have to have his face next to the bitch's rear end to sense that she's in season, so why should some 100 dogs lose out at a show.
I think Richard meant at a champ show where dogs are in the ring before the bitches.

I wouldn't have a problem taking my bitches to a show in season. It would depend on the show. Specialty champ show, hound champ show or royal. I missed last years specialty (darn). I was going to decide the night before but she was in full season, ready to mate, it stuck out like a beacon and rather messy. She practically gaited backwards, the lil scarlet, so I dediced not to take her. If it was the first few days or last few days then I would have taken her.

I think Richard meant at a champ show where dogs are in the ring before the bitches.
so the bitch would just teleport herself to the ring? I find it hard to believe that a bitch can be present at a show and make her way to the ring without coming near any male dogs.

so the bitch would just teleport herself to the ring? I find it hard to believe that a bitch can be present at a show and make her way to the ring without coming near any male dogs.
The point is the dogs have been in the ring before hand.

I am not saying if I think it is right or wrong, but I imagine any bitches who are there at the very start or end of their season would be kept well out of the way until just before their class.

if you can do that. or it might get a bit wild at the BIS judging (w00t)

The point is the dogs have been in the ring before hand.

I am not saying if I think it is right or wrong, but I imagine any bitches who are there at the very start or end of their season would be kept well out of the way until just before their class.
It doesn't make ANY difference the bitch will come into contact at some point whilst at the show with a male dog. They can sniff them out at quite a distance.

You could be benched next to a dog.

Bitches in season aren't allowed here in the US in lure coursing, racing, or obedience, but they are a fact of life showing in the conformation ring.

It's interesting reading this thread. As the handler of several horny males, I like the idea of leaving in-season bitches at home, but as the handler of bitches who sometimes come in season on an irregular schedule, it seems that it's enough to warn people who have males on a leash to keep their distance, and only take them out of crates and right up to the ring as their class is being called (as opposed to holding them on a leash for a long time and letting them drip and scent up ringside). When I have to show a bitch in season, I usually leave her crated in a van or crating area until right before her class, then run her in, show her, and leave. If we make it far enough to be in the ring with males (Best of Breed), then I try to hold her away from them as much as I can. You can also daub an aromated camphorated substance like Vick's Vapo Rub (not sure what the UK equivalent would be) around (not ON) her vulva and that would mask her scent as well.

Here, there are a couple of things that are tricks to distract your dog from a bitch who might be in heat in the vicinity. One is to use a squirt bottle with lemon juice and just keep squirting it into their mouth. The other is to put a little vanilla extract on a cotton pad and wipe under their nose or gently blot. The aroma doesn't bother them but it masks the scent of ripe bitch.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Please don't give people ideas, it's NOT RIGHT to show in season bitches.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back