The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

/

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I can see a few problems with what you're hoping to find.

The main issue is that for a dog to stand up to intruders and protect you, it has to have an underlying level of insecurity... otherwise it would be like a labrador and lick intruders to death. And you really have to be an expert dog handler to be able to have a dog who will bark ferociously at strangers and protect you from intruders, but who won't react when the postman calls, or someone stops by to ask for directions, or an old friend comes to visit.

There's also the risk that if the dog sleeps outside, an intruder could silence the dog in one way or another, and then do whatever they were planning on.

How about having a dog who slept in the house, but had a loud intimidating back (even if you know he's really just saying hello)? In which case a Bernese might be a good fit. You can still of course threaten to release the dog, and this would give you a level of protection without running the risk of the dog going for someone it shouldn't.

For others trying to make sense of this -

Hi gang,
I'm hoping someone might be able to lend a hand in my research for the right breed..!
I live on a large homestead, and have had other dogs most of my life but I haven't really been a dog person since now such a large break of time between my last dog passing.
Unfortunately in the past years, seemingly as the economic situation worsens, there have been many people I've caught on the land, essentially looking to thieve and break & enter.
As I don't have family and it is such a vast open space, it is an intimidating situation!

I have therefore since a neighboring farm was robbed by a 4 man gang wielding bats, thought maybe it would be something prudent and also enjoyable to get a dog in my life!
I have unfortunately found however that many or most personal protection and 'guard' style breeds are really very needy and not independent, thriving on that close bond with their guardee and guardian! This isn't terribly ideal for my situation and nor for securing and alerting against threats over these tracts of land.

So therefore my ideal breed is not emotionally needy, to a degree, and can tolerate ideally sleeping alone (in a spacious no expense spared and heated dedicated kennel), but otherwise it'll have my company every waking hour, but with the instincts to stand confidently night and day in the face of threats and to alert with presence, and it would be really nice too if it were to have an inclination to defend me if I'm being attacked..

I have considered a bernese mountain dog as perhaps something which could be good? They seem attached but when I say independence I am really only ruling out the hyper-velcro type dogs which are anxious from any separation at all, i.e. dobermanns and unfortunately the otherwise well fitting breeds!

The independent character really I only seek is one which is happy to understand it's night time and now it's time for bed and to not become anxious or downhearted to be physically separated from its owner for this period!

I hadn't thought it would be such a trifle to find a dog to fit a lifestyle like this but it seems so! Many thanks for any assistance or insight that you might care to offer
Thanks! 🤩

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back