The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Information Please

parksie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I have got two beautiful whippet girlies and have always wanted an italian greyhound, but I have been told that they are very "fragile".

I have also never been able to find any in this country that are suitable for showing.

What sort of price range are they and are they find to live with 2 whippets?

Please please could someone help me!

:) Hello :) If you look in FAQ you'll find a section on the Italian Greyhound which is probably a good place to start your search for information :thumbsup: good luck :luck:

U NEED 100YRS OF HAVING IGGY'S AND READ EVERY BOOK ON THEM BEFORE OWNING ONE LOL :- "

well, I had 2 iggs some 30 years ago. They lived very happily with my Great Danes and Borzois. Guess who was the boss? Although i have heard that some lines at present do have rather fragile bones. :)

oh my (w00t) i love that first pic, but the second one... i'm fearing for the dogs safety... the great danes that is :lol:

beaker said:
oh my  (w00t) i love that first pic, but the second one... i'm fearing for the dogs safety... the great danes that is  :lol:
:lol: Right you are, the Danes were totally under the Iggys control :)

Beautiful pics.

My Iggy is anything but fragile. She is a proper farm dog but maybe that has been in her favour. She has good bone probaboly due to the amount of running and jumping that she gets up to.

I think that if a cat can cope physically with a situation then probably so could an Iggy - about the same size and weight, although I think Roux's legs are possibly stronger than the cats.

Look around the different types. Roux is more hound style and just brilliant. Quite happy to play with Labradors and similar sized dogs but equally is aware of her limitations.

Great Dogs.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO dont even nearly expect a straight forward answer on here to that question !! some of the k9 witches have cast spells on potential iggy buyers....never heard from them again :eek:

my advice...."BUY A FERRET AND SHAVE IT !" its not worth the "iggy inquistion" :lol: :lol:

j o:) hn

Those Dane pics are fabulous (w00t) :thumbsup:

They can be tough little nuts - my pair often give our galumphing big labrador the run-around.. and they pummel and shove her into shape when they want to use her as a mattress or sofa too :lol:

The biggest difficulty is finding the good strong ones because there are some horrible specimens out there.

Seraphina said:
well, I had 2 iggs some 30 years ago.  They lived very happily with my Great Danes and Borzois.  Guess who was the boss?  Although i have heard that some lines at present do have  rather fragile bones.  :)
Hi there, these pictures with your Grt.Dane are magnificent!!!! :)) :)) you really can tell whos the boss :)) :)) Great stuff!!

Those photos are gorgeous :wub:

My two Iggies do everything my Whippets do, and always have done, including lure coursing and agility, though there are some lines which are prone to breaking legs.

In spite of what SOME will say (and you know who you are :- " ) any interrogation is only done for the love of the breed, as they are definitely NOT for everyone. :b

They can be very noisy, rushing out into the garden to bark at nothing in particular, while the Whippets just stand there :- " This may not sound like such a problem, but I find it very annoying and difficult to put up with 8)

They are also quite difficult to house train- if one of my Whippets had an accident in the house they would be mortified, whereas the IG's attitude is ' so I peed on the floor- get over it!' :oops:

They are VERY active and attention seeking.

On the plus side, they are very affectionate, funny and clever, and get a lot of attention from other people when they are out- of course they just love meeting and greeting people :thumbsup:

Much as I love them, my 2 are plenty for me- I could live with a houseful of Whippets, but certainly not a houseful of Iggies! My advice to people is always to just get another Whippet :thumbsup: :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

THECAP said:
U NEED 100YRS OF  HAVING IGGY'S AND READ  EVERY BOOK ON THEM BEFORE OWNING ONE LOL :- "
now i wonder who told you that? :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
alfie said:
Those photos are gorgeous :wub:
My two Iggies do everything my Whippets do, and always have done, including lure coursing and agility, though there are some lines which are prone to breaking legs.

In spite of what SOME will say (and you know who you are :- " ) any interrogation is only done for the love of the breed, as they are definitely NOT for everyone. :b

They can be very noisy, rushing out into the garden to bark at nothing in particular, while the Whippets just stand there :- " This may not sound like such a problem, but I find it very annoying and difficult to put up with 8)

They are also quite difficult to house train- if one of my Whippets had an accident in the house they would be mortified, whereas the IG's attitude is ' so I peed on the floor- get over it!' :oops:

On the plus side, they are very affectionate, funny and clever, and get a lot of attention from other people when they are out- of course they just love meeting and greeting people :thumbsup:

Much as I love them, my 2 are plenty for me- I could live with a houseful of Whippets, but certainly not a houseful of Iggies! My advice to people is always to just get another Whippet :thumbsup:   :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

That is such good advice Liz. :thumbsup: I had previously thought I would love to own an Iggie one day. However, whilst I think they are adorable, having read good advice like this, I realise I would find one very hard to cope with and should stick to whippets and just admire other people's Iggies. :wub: :wub:

I was just thinking exactly the same Sarah. Really great advice :thumbsup:

As gorgeous as they are - I know I couldn't cope with the housetraining issue -it would drive me nuts :blink:

In defence of all Iggy's that can't type a reply

I would like to say I have never had a dirty I.G , they are so intelligent they are easy to train or perhaps you just have to be a bit mad yourself to get on their wave length .

I rest my case :teehee:

Lillybet

Much as I love them, my 2 are plenty for me- I could live with a houseful of Whippets, but certainly not a houseful of Iggies! My advice to people is always to just get another Whippet :thumbsup:   :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

Couldn't have said it better Liz :thumbsup:

House training is DEFINITELY an issue, as is with a lot of Toy breeds BUT i have to say IG's really push the boundries. :- "

I think reputable breeders who have been in the breed many many years will be honest enough to tell you this & any other pitfalls :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
of course, there are always exceptions to the rules :wacko:

Zoe is very good, never ever had any problems with her - I believe she is the exception :p

or to put it another way, the amount of 'mess' didn't increase from having one igge to having two :- " :lol:

and obviously it depends on your circumstances - if your dogs live outside you won't get any mess in the house, but don't leave the door open and expect them to take themselves out, I have seen iggies pee by an open back door cos the weather wasn't to their liking :rant: :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually, now I think of it, I've seen my own precious Genie weeing on the upstairs carpet cos she couldnt be bothered to walk downstairs :angry: she is such a diva!!!

:( My iggies are appalling - they need newspapers down every night and do several pees and a poo each. Generally they're okay during the day if they get out every hour.

Lottie will pee on the floor during the day even if the outside door is open (ok only occasionally but it's enough!). At night Zoomie always has a favourite place to lift his leg and at the moment it's the bed next to his - actually in on top of all the bedding!! Disgusting.

I do reckon Lottie would be fully houstrained if we didn't have Zoomie but they seem to set each other off. Rainy days are a nightmare!

AND... I thought I could housetrain them being a very experienced dog-owner and very 'into' training methods... and nothing has worked!!! So be warned.... believe me I've tried every method there is short of putting nappies on them :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back