The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Injured carpal pad

Diesel's Dad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
He gave me a real scare today! "walking" our usual woodland route and I noticed Diesel's front right foot was totally covered in blood! :eek:
He didn't cry out or anything and seemed happy running round as usual but obviously very concerning. I gave it a quick wipe and applied pressure with tissues but he obviously didnt like this one bit! Once back in the car the bleeding had stopped but i couldn't see where the wound was.

Once home I cleaned as best I could with salty water and got some antiseptic cream onto his carpal pad as this is where I assumed the injury was.Unable to tell exactly until he was sleepy enough to let me look just now!

He's torn a small slice of flesh which is hanging on. Have spoken to vet and sent pics for advice. Thankfully this pad only hits the ground when he's running so may heal well unless there's dirt in there which could get nasty. Suspect they'll want to see him to properly clean and dress teh wound whic knowing this one will require sedation...
See below!

anyone else got experience of pad wounds?

Attachments

• IMG_0626-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0626-compressed.jpeg
    923.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0627-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0627-compressed.jpeg
    789.2 KB · Views: 210
Ouch. Cant help mine have always been lucky enough not to have cut pads..
Wishing you luck at the vet..

Vet nurse has looked at the pictures and advised salt water bathing should do the trick. Think I may take him for a proper vet opinion in the morning!

My Springer sliced her pad open when she jumped into a frozen puddle and the ice cut it! Blood all over the snow looked quite gruesome :eek: We just kept it clean and made a little boot to cover it on walks :D healed fine .

That’s good to know thanks. Not sure about a hoot though. We tried a bandage and he had that off in a flash.

I would leave it uncovered for the ait to dry it out and keep up with the salt water baths as long as it is not weeping it should heal fine without seeing a vet I would only take him to the vet if it starts to look infected:)

I agree with @niamh123 - though that's partly because Jasper wouldn't let the vet examine it properly anyway!

Thanks all. Just had a stroll around local streets and it’s definitely
Not bothering him which is good.

Being where it is it’ll really only touch the ground when he runs or stops/turns at speed so no off leash running for a few days which won’t please him!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back