The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Insurance Query Chronic Illness

derbygirl

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi again,

Can anybody help please, I am being a bit lazy really, I seem to remember reading adverts or something whereby the insurance company insures the dog for vets fees for life i.e. if they develop an illness which needs ongoing medication then they pay up until death and not for just a given time - 12 months or something. Has anybody got such a policy and with whom please? :thumbsup:

Hi, there's a few threads on this in FAQ, have a peek there and I'm sure you'll find the info you need :thumbsup:

FAQ link

derbygirl said:
Hi again,Can anybody help please, I am being a bit lazy really, I seem to remember reading adverts or something whereby the insurance company insures the dog for vets fees for life i.e. if they develop an illness which needs ongoing medication then they pay up until death and not for just a given time - 12 months or something.  Has anybody got such a policy and with whom please? :thumbsup:

Pet Plan and Marks and Spencer. I think More than does as well. The Cover for Life Options are more expensive than the cheap ones.

Also if your dog has already developed the problem they won't cover for pre-existing problems. Only ones which start after the policy is taken out.

Wendy

I went with M&S because it cost me less than £1 extra a month for no excess. Worth taking a look at and you can get a quote online easily.

M & S have now gone up in price though (got my renewal through last month, and i tested this with a brand new quote). Gone from £10.65 per month with no excess to £17 a month with a £50.00 compulsory excess. They are red hot at paying out too (i hit em with £3k bill after only being with them 2 months). There is a cheaper one that i saw in the vets on a leaflet that werent petplan and i cant remember the name, but if you want i will find out tomorrow, however your dogs jabs must be up to date

kerry0378 said:
M & S have now gone up in price though (got my renewal through last month, and i tested this with a brand new quote). Gone from £10.65 per month with no excess to £17 a month with a £50.00 compulsory excess.  They are red hot at paying out too (i hit em with £3k bill after only being with them 2 months).  There is a cheaper one that i saw in the vets on a leaflet that werent petplan and i cant remember the name, but if you want i will find out tomorrow, however your dogs jabs must be up to date
The NFU pet insurance will cover dogs if not jabbed, but you have to accept the rider on the policy which states that they will not cover any disease or associated complication which arises from not having the dog jabbed. Which is fair enough.

kerry0378 said:
M & S have now gone up in price though (got my renewal through last month, and i tested this with a brand new quote). Gone from £10.65 per month with no excess to £17 a month with a £50.00 compulsory excess.  They are red hot at paying out too (i hit em with £3k bill after only being with them 2 months).  There is a cheaper one that i saw in the vets on a leaflet that werent petplan and i cant remember the name, but if you want i will find out tomorrow, however your dogs jabs must be up to date
If you check the bottom of your forms you should see in the additions that your NIL excess is still there.

Also if your dogs jabs are not done they won't cover any disease or illness that could have been prevented by having them, but they will still cover everything else.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
kerry0378 said:
I only recently insured Wills (last weekend infact). It was less than £10 a month for her (a whippet x) with no excess. I assume the cost would be more for a pedigree dog though.

I will double check my docs, as i did only give them a quick glance before my holiday as i would like to check the excess as im sure they have given me a £50 compulsory excess.

kerry0378 said:
I will double check my docs, as i did only give them a quick glance before my holiday as i would like to check the excess as im sure they have given me a £50 compulsory excess.
There's a few of us on here who read them that way at first, but when we double checked with the company they said look at the Endorsements (DUH - should have in the first place LOL)

It should say under Endorsements:

The veterinary fees excess (Section 1) is reduced to NIL

So although in the policy it states there is an excess you'll see on your actual schedule that it's reduced to NIL if you already had it.

I don't know if they're still offering the option for new subscribers or not - perhaps someone else can enlighten on that one? But certainly for those of us who already had it they've not changed it.

Wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back