The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Introducing my gorgeous dog Blue

DebsBlueshep

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

My name is Deborah,

My dog is Blue a black labardor who unfortunately has a skin allergy atm its so stressful he is on Apoquel and has a buster collar on atm.

We think it might be a food allergy but are not 100% sure ... we are awaiting a blood test result. Also he on a no wheat, dairy, grain, beef filler, no fish, everything just lamb called Naturediet.

Anyone had the same thing?

Debs

Good evening. Our rescue whippet came with a small supply of Apoquel three years ago. She suffers from what we can only determine as a seasonal allergy which seems to affect her (we think) during grass growing season. I’ve found it cheaper to buy a prescription from our vet and order as many as poss online at the start of the season. I give her just a half tablet at a time. I generally have 70 odd tablets in reserve - panic buying, I’m afraid.
Food wise, she’s on a raw complete diet. Hope things work out for your Blue. Keep us informed as I’m sure there are many who’d benefit from your findings.

Thanks for getting back to me, yes Blue is on Apoquel atm, and we are awaiting a blood test result that we had last week. He is also on a limited ingredients diet called Naturediet Purely lamb. No wheat, dairy , grain , beef fillers or preservatives etc. So its a long process. Its so frustrating and upsetting. As just sad to see him itching. But luckily its not all the time it is slowly getting bit better. So maybe its the food allergy he has as we have been on this food for 2 weeks but before that he was having grain so we cancelled that out as well now so have to see if we see further improvement. Takes 8-12 weeks for it to be noticed.

Hi Deborah,

Sorry to hear about Blue having a skin allergy, as you are aware skin allergy is an oversensitivity to items such as pollen, grass, house dust mites and/or certain foods. Unfortunately, skin allergies are one of the most common causes of itchy skin in dogs, which can present as itchiness, redness, hair loss, and repeat skin/ear infections. Skin allergy treatment is different for each dog, but often involves avoiding triggers, strict flea control, a special diet, and medication to stop the itch. Immunotherapy (desensitisation) can be used in some cases.
Best regards
Vetonlines

Ah thanks for getting back to me
We are just waiting for the blood test results. I am hoping it shows at least something?!!
Yes he is on a limited diet just lamb only no wheat dairy gluten or grain or beef fillers or preservatives etc .. so frustrating and upsetting. Hopefully we might even be able to get an allergy shot if thats what the end result is.

It's my pleasure,
I hope Blue will get better soon
Vetonlines:)

Thanks.
Do you think its ok to give another tablet to Blue of Apoquel in evening as he was so so itchy and was just to relieve him until he slowly gets better...?
Thanks

As usually give him just one in morning at 4am as thats what time i get up lol

Only your vet can give this advice.

Please don’t forget to let us know what you can from the test results. Hope you reach a solution.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back