The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Introduction - GSD bad smell tail area.

PatrickDan

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, I have a rescue German Shepherd, Kayto, that's been with me 5.5 years, we believe her to be around 8-9 years. She's a lovely nature and we've been so lucky with her. In the past couple of months she has developed a bad smell round her tail area. It isn't the fishy smell associated with anal glands, more of a musty smell with a strong pungency. She has been to a vet, which due to moving just before lockdown has meant I've not been able to be present during examination. The vet cleared her anal glands which she said were quite full and impacted, but the smell remains, and lingers on anything she's lay on. Looking online I've seen there can be issues with anal fissures, but there appear to be none.
Does anyone know what this could be? It's not a normal dog smell. She has no other symptoms, her diet hasn't changed and her stools are normal. Her coat and skin seem fine. I'm trying to get her an appointment for a second opinion but it's proving difficult in the current situation.

My dog's rear end sometimes smells a bit cheesy in hot weather - like a ripe Stilton at times - could you dog's be similar? He's not the sort of dog who would appreciate being bathed, so I tend to live with it and encourage him to take a dip in streams and clean ponds. It disappears when the weather cools down.

Does sound like a similar sort of smell, it's very strong, fills a room. I've never smelt it on a dog before and can't work out why it's only just come on, she's lived through much hotter weather, we've moved from Sussex to Cumbria so it's a lot cooler up here.

If the glands have been full for a while....they can develop strong smell that is not the 'norm'. I suspect once her glands are functioning more regular fashion the smell should start becoming less obvious or even disappear altogether.
I solved my girl's gland issues with supplemented fibre for few months to get her poo's 'fuller' so they would massage those glands on their way out and encourage them to empty better. ;)

Bonios are good for firming up poos too...

The vet considered checking Jasper's anal glands once. He had a go, and Jasper suggested that he reconsider. The vet commented that there were three of us in the room who were relieved it wasn't going to happen :D

@PatrickDan, have you tried bathing Kayto?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back