The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Irritated about..(rant warning)

Finsky

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Maybe we need specific thread to let off little steam...talking about things that being dog owner brings along. And from time to time I do like a good moan and put the world into better place...:rolleyes:;):D How about it....shall I start?

Last edited:
Maybe we need specific thread to let off little steam...talking about things that being dog owner brings along. And from time to time I do like good moan and put the world into better place...:rolleyes:;):D How about it....shall I start?
So...this thing I have to come across almost everytime I go for a walk in the forest...
"don't you let your dog off from the lead/ why is you dog on the lead?"
I would think it is common sense..because there is a reason for it!

I normally hold my tongue but really I want to be sarcastic and say..."well...why do you think!?….let her off and let her run off ..is that proper thing to do?"
But, I'm being nice and my usual answer is "she is a terrier with high hunting instinct....I don't fancy being here for hours waiting for her to come back when she is ready for it..."
Those who come up with such a questions are not terrier owners, but surely it is common sense? They have nice little lap dogs and they do not understand how other dogs might be like. It is not because they are not taught to behave...or that I'm at fault...:mad:
If I'm feeling like giving them a little tap on their noses...I might say "I have to be responsible dog owner and make sure my dog AND the wildlife is safe...in the end she is having her walk and we are happy".
That is my very well behaved response..'halo glowing moment'.
Usually they then rush to tell me how their dogs don't leave their sight at all. (yeah..that's because they are that over weight that they barely manage to walk around their usual walk and are there to peg all the treats along the way :rolleyes:...not all are like that, but there is plenty of those about)
One particular dog owner with his teeny poodle cross did ask me when both our dogs were just pups..his was following him as shadow. Mine less so and on the lead. I felt like asking why is your pup so scared meeting another pup of same age and meeting me too...but yes, otherwise she is behaving perfectly on the heel.:rolleyes: (I did try to break the ice with his pup but she wouldn't come...and even today now almost 2 years old, it is still nervous about other dogs and people)
Where as mine, at the time had not learned to walk perfectly on the lead yet, nor off, was so excited to meet and greet everybody, human and dogs alike..no fear what so ever..
hmm..which one would I prefer :rolleyes:
Now thinking about it...compressed it into the main aggravation is other dog owners attitude that walking their dogs off lead is the ultimate 'must'.
Bah humbug...I say to that!

Last edited:
On the other hand, I get people saying 'I bet you can't ever let him off lead, can you?'

They're all different, aren't they? And some people, without being irresponsible, will accept a degree of risk so that their dogs can enjoy being off lead. I'm not saying either approach is right or wrong, just that we don't have any right to judge strangers or make assumptions.

I think one of the most worrying aspects of terriers is their propensity for disappearing down holes, with the possibility of getting jammed tight and/or meeting something like a badger. I’ve meta couple of people this has happened too, and it sounds awful. As the owner of a little lap dog, I keep him on a flexi most of the time, so I can reel him in incase I meet an out of control dog with chasing/hunting instincts. So, same boat as you, but different set of circumstances. :(

(Not thinking about your dogs, there, Finsky)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Is you dog insured".....ARRRRRHG!
That gets into my 'nose'. It is usually one of the first questions when ever we go to vets.
It should not matter...our dogs should get the necessary treatment not matter if they are or not!
I've always wondered...if they are insured, does that mean they to some 'extra' tests that are not otherwise absolutely necessary...kind of 'chucking them in' for some extra cost??

Last edited:
DSC_0176.JPG
I think one of the most worrying aspects of terriers is their propensity for disappearing down holes, with the possibility of getting jammed tight and/or meeting something like a badger. I’ve meta couple of people this has happened too, and it sounds awful. As the owner of a little lap dog, I keep him on a flexi most of the time, so I can reel him in incase I meet an out of control dog with chasing/hunting instincts. So, same boat as you, but different set of circumstances. :(

(Not thinking about your dogs, there, Finsky)
Hmm...yes, it is worrying when they want to go into ground and that is one of the reasons mine are often on leads, particularly when in forest.
And that is exactly what was about to happen last weekend if the little one of ours wouldn't been on extending lead..but they are so quick.."now you see me..and now you don't".. :rolleyes:

"Is you dog insured".....ARRRRRHG!
That gets into my 'nose'. It is usually one of the first questions when ever we go to vets.
It should not matter...our dogs should get the necessary treatment not matter if they are or not!
I've always wondered...if they are insured, does that mean they to some 'extra' tests that are not otherwise absolutely necessary...kind of 'chucking them in' for some extra cost??

I was thinking, while the litany of services was being rolled out “You do know that these procedures carry risks like unnecessary anaesthetics or substances that can affect the kidneys, don’t you?” I should have been a bit more forthright and voiced my thoughts.

I was thinking, while the litany of services was being rolled out “You do know that these procedures carry risks like unnecessary anaesthetics or substances that can affect the kidneys, don’t you?” I should have been a bit more forthright and voiced my thoughts.
Oh I'm sure they do know...what they see being unnecessary is another thing..:rolleyes:
Certain ways I do admire vets...they do have know a lot about so many different animal species. Sometimes I feel I'd rather go and see a vet rather than my GP..
But some do take granted of our love for our animals and what we are willing and able to do for our animals. I am willing to dig deep to keep them going, but I don't want to waste my resources for something that is not absolutely necessary...and that doesn't take into account the ethical point of view of different treatments. I wonder if it is those insurances that brought the sometimes almost 'lavish' testing and treating 'culture'. 'where there is funds...let's use it!"o_O

I dare say having a dog who doesn't do well with sedatives and hates having a vet anywhere near me plays to my advantage here. No one's going to be taking bloods or checking his teeth and suggesting a dental unless they really have to!

My rant - or rather a moan: My raw food delivery came while I was out and was left outside the door. It usually comes in four polystyrene boxes which, not being very strong and having dodgy shoulder/back muscles, I can just about manage to carry through to the utility and put in the freezer. But today two pairs of polystyrene boxes were packed into two tight-fitting cardboard boxes. One alone was 25kg, and no way I could carry that, but they were too tight for me to lift the polystyrene boxes out. After some experimentation I eventually opened the tops, pushed the flaps to the side, and tipped them out, then carried them through upside down hoping the taped-on lids wouldn't come off. That worked, but on top of the experimentation I think my back is going to be paying for it later...

I might just leave it outside for OH next time but he's funny about meat being left out of the freezer even if it is well insulated. Still, it's not him who's going to be eating it.

I loved my vets, when they were independent. I’d buy my dog food through them, and various bits and bobs, as well as appointments. But, the vets also were more willing to listen to your observations, and take them into account, and your dog usually saw the same vet so there was continuity. To me, these two things are very important, and, sadly, they have got lost along the way. And, once upon a time, the nurse/receptionists offered advice on simple problems. Now, they speak to clients like somebody’s listening over their shoulder, :(

I dare say having a dog who doesn't do well with sedatives and hates having a vet anywhere near me plays to my advantage here. No one's going to be taking bloods or checking his teeth and suggesting a dental unless they really have to!

My rant - or rather a moan: My raw food delivery came while I was out and was left outside the door. It usually comes in four polystyrene boxes which, not being very strong and having dodgy shoulder/back muscles, I can just about manage to carry through to the utility and put in the freezer. But today two pairs of polystyrene boxes were packed into two tight-fitting cardboard boxes. One alone was 25kg, and no way I could carry that, but they were too tight for me to lift the polystyrene boxes out. After some experimentation I eventually opened the tops, pushed the flaps to the side, and tipped them out, then carried them through upside down hoping the taped-on lids wouldn't come off. That worked, but on top of the experimentation I think my back is going to be paying for it later...

I might just leave it outside for OH next time but he's funny about meat being left out of the freezer even if it is well insulated. Still, it's not him who's going to be eating it.
Uh..my sympathies...that is no fun! 25 kg is a lot to move about, particularly when box shape is not easiest to hold onto without being hunched up...nobody's back will like it.
I do move that weight quite often when getting birds seeds or pellets etc. But sacks you get closer to your core and won't stress one's back as much.
How long does 25 kgs of food last for your dog? Somebody must have a big freezer...opps..you had 2 boxes..50 kgs?

How long does 25 kgs of food last for your dog? Somebody must have a big freezer...opps..you had 2 boxes..50 kgs?

The other box was labelled as 11kg - I'm not sure that's right as they were both full, though the lighter one did have 40 chicken carcasses in, which have cavities. Jasper gets through around 850g a day, so 40 days' worth will be around 34 kg, plus the veggie nuggets I ordered. If only Jasper and I could swap metabolisms!

The other box was labelled as 11kg - I'm not sure that's right as they were both full, though the lighter one did have 40 chicken carcasses in, which have cavities. Jasper gets through around 850g a day, so 40 days' worth will be around 34 kg, plus the veggie nuggets I ordered. If only Jasper and I could swap metabolisms!
Gosh! I only asked about it for I've always had small dogs...so I didn't have much idea how much larger dogs do eat.
2 of mine are doing well if I manage to get them to eat 400g per day. Usually it is more of 200-300g + 'bits and bobs'.

Today's rant: fertility clinics for dogs: Popularity of pug-like dogs 'could be fuelling rise in canine fertility clinics'

If your dog isn't fit enough to breed as nature intended, it shouldn't be bred from. Full stop. These dogs are disabled, handicapped. They can't breathe properly, they can't walk properly, they can't mate properly. There's nothing cute about a dog who snorts, snuffles or waddles and pants after walking 100 yards:mad:

Today's rant: fertility clinics for dogs: Popularity of pug-like dogs 'could be fuelling rise in canine fertility clinics'

If your dog isn't fit enough to breed as nature intended, it shouldn't be bred from. Full stop. These dogs are disabled, handicapped. They can't breathe properly, they can't walk properly, they can't mate properly. There's nothing cute about a dog who snorts, snuffles or waddles and pants after walking 100 yards:mad:
Oh absolutely! :mad: In fact we took that stance with us. Hubby and I , we decided not to go through with fertility treatments even at the time the doctor was keen to push it. We just couldn't see the point passing on the faulty genes to the possible next generation. And it did stopped with us.
LOL...reading the list of complaints..snorts, snuffles etc..you could be talking about one of us! Not admitting which one though! :D

I am sure you have made the right decision @Finsky . I do believe that we interfere too much with nature. Life/nature is cruel, but nature knows best and should be left to make its own selections.

I'm sorry if this comment offends anyone.:oops:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back