The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is It A Sad Sad World Or Not?

Jessr123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I recently began a topic entiltled 'It's a sad sad world' in which I reflected on the nature of the world and on how it was becoming a 'big brother' state (note I meant not the commonly watched TV program which aims to ridicule, but the book 1984 by George Orwell in which people must follow the rulings of the state without question). I was going to add to this post but cannot find it, so instead I begin anew with some observations from my weekend which suggest not all is bad with the world.

It was a very emotional weekend for myself - I had many miles to travel to see my nan who is ill in hospital at the other end of the country, a nan whom I love dearly. So of course, I was eager to see her. She almost belongs in a different world to myself, but a world I was comforted to hear is linked to mine by several aspects, maybe the most relevant to this site being through our love of animals.

My nan is somewhat confused at times, yet I was pleasantly surpised to discover that she could talk with amazing clarity and fondness about my uncles dogs (of which he has several). It gave us a common ground with which to appreciate life, and through our conversation my nan was able to travel clearly through the past to the present day, all because of our fabulous four-legged friends. They are more valuable than I could ever even say.

Through our conversation we also touched upon the topic of my brother who has learning difficulties, and finds it hard to communicate. Dogs who help my nan travel seemlessly between past and present, also helped my brother. When he was young my parents were told he would be unable to walk as he grew older. Dogs, it seems, had something to do with changing this. When my brother was 4, my parents decided to get a dog. My brother who found it hard to communicate with the rest of the world, was suddenly able to get up and take this small puppy for walks around the garden, and had a friend for life, a friend who helped him develop confidence, and opened up a world of conversation for him. People who would have otherwise considered him stupid, unintelligent and worthless were able to converse with him about something special to them, something which unites many of us on this site, their love for their four-legged friends.

So although on the one hand this world has become a world of distain, hatred, moderation and 'political' correctness, there are also many special moments that make us a the human race connect for a brief moment, and that is in no small way down to those special creatures who are probably sitting at your feet as you read this! Oh I wish the dogs could run the world - life would be much more simple....

You are so right about dogs running the world Jess, some of the pictures on here of dogs accepting one another for who they are and loving each other no matter what are a lesson to us all, your brother was so lucky to get a friend at the age of 4, these picturs are of my friend Francis, who although speaks rarely, says Bluebells name as clear as day and kisses her everytime he see's her, they have a very special relationship indeed :wub: :wub:

BluebellsBirthday071.jpg

BluebellsBirthday070.jpg

Spot on Jess.I have met Francis and he is adorable,a very loving boy xx

It is a Sad Sad world. People have definately lost sight of what is important in this world.

I dont think that the internet has helped either as people have lost the art of communicating in person.

Unfortunately it always seems to be tragedy that unites most people.

It has recently taken my brother nearly dieing that has reunited us both. We never fell out but just lost touch. We have never been a close family but sitting in the hospital with him a couple of weeks ago and running through what we had missed in each others lives was in way quite sad because it is time you cant get back.

I personally would find life very sad without my dogs being in it. They never judge me, they are good company always, they give unconditional love.

Thank you for posting this topic,

It is a sad world, on this Day of Rememberance my heart goes out to those who have lost their loved ones in conflict. We are grateful to have our children close by and whilst these last three years have been difficult for me, losing four members of my family , I am so grateful to have my life as it. My dogs are the icing on the cake.

Jenny

Last edited by a moderator:
omg jess that has brought a tear to my eye :( how so very true i think for once this is something all forum members can agree on dogs never judge you do not care what you look like in the morning and take our every day stresses and strains on board and never question why we might be feeling down and are always ready to lick the tears away

I have both my girls here with me now giving me such unconditional love and never ask for anything in return dogs should rule the country as far as im concerned ;)

I found this a very humbling post Jess..my life is my kids and my dogs..and i love it!! nohing better to curl up on the sofa with them all...that is the time i reflect on things and think things aren't so bad are they?!!

What a very appropriate discussion for Remembrance Sunday. As I get older, I find myself realising how important REAL things are ....... my family, my friends, kindness and truth and oh so many more real values in life.

My father, who died 20 years ago last month, tried to impress these values on me as a child and into my teenage years. I fought against it alot of the time and I see and hear the youngsters of today being just as controversial as I was, albeit in a different style.

Wisdom and tolerance comes with age but the one thing that has been a constant in my life is my animals. We couldn't have a dog when I was a child as we lived in a flat with no garden. But we did have 2 cats and I was closely involved with the local riding school from a very early age and developed a life-long love of horses too.

On leaving home at the age of 17, the first thing I did was get a dog (Cassie, my first GSD) and I have never been without one since :D Animals have been the one constant in my life and are my priority in every case. Because of my animals, I have learnt to be tolerant and industrious which, in turn, has helped me to have security and has put me in a position to sometimes help to rescue other animals and have a menagerie of my own!!

I have also met all my dearest friends because of the equine, canine and feline world and the bond is greater because of the common interest. As Jess has said in her original post, animals seem to transcend time. Even at the age of 96, in a care home and with severe senile dementia, my grandmother still asked after my cat, Coochie, whenever I went to see her. The memory of Coochie in her mind was greater than that of her own children and grandchildren as she didn't know who we were.

We do live in a cruel world now ....... the "me, me, me" society rules and people seem to think it is acceptable to be spiteful and disrespectful to others for no reason :( I was brought up to believe that if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. This is something I have tried to adhere to throughout my life and I also remember learning that you can find some good in everything and everyone if you look hard enough - even if it is just the fact that they love their dog :thumbsup:

cant say what i want to otherwise i will be sat here blubbering :b

very good jess xxx

Thank you for that post Jess. It certainly made me think - made my day in fact.

....and I think you have answered your question in that lovely post of yours.

Amongst all of the sadness that undoubtably exists in this world - you can still find joy and comfort if you look for it.

What a lovely thread to read...thank you.. :) Claire I love the special bond Bluebell has with your friend...thats so lovely too...

I for one could never imagine my life without animals...despite the heartbreak I sometimes go through with them..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back