The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is it really necessary to have a 12 yr old dog given yearly boosters?

Gazhasteeth

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Up until now he was insured and it was a stipulation. He doesn't come into contact with other dogs or go into kennels.
For some reason the last couple of times he's gone to the vets he's become very agitated and snappy, I'm wondering if its really worth putting him through the grief .

Obviously I am not a vet but all I can say is my girl had her shots up until she was 2, I then went on to Titer testing annually, ( this shows if the dog still has antibodies in their blood), since then she has not needed any vacs and she is now nearly 14 so for nearly 12 years she has been fine and safe without vaccinations.

I'm sure I've read that after a number of annual boosters, they are as immune as they are ever going to be. It's only my opinion but if it isn't necessary for insurance, boarding, or anything else, I'd not bother.

I've also read that after the age of 10, it's not necessary. My dog found vaccination very stressful and the vet was more than happy to say that he wouldn't need them any more. I don't think that was because injecting Jasper was quite stressful for the vet too!

Titre testing wasn't an option for us, but people who have titre tested have found, like Biker John, that boosters are only needed once in a blue moon.

I had my dogs titre tested (on the advice of my wonderful vet) and they have never needed further vaccination after puppy vaccination. However, it was made clear to me that the immune system is not fully developed for most dogs until they are a year old.

Thanks to everyone for replying, now that I cant afford the £80 a month they're trying to charge for insurance, I'm beginning to think there may be little to gain from stressing him out after 11 years of boosters.

We give all puppy vaccinations, a booster at 1 year and then 3 yearly up to 7 years and stop (vet recommended at the time) but times have changed and less boosters are required.

I remember my parents only having puppy vaccinations that lasted for life !
I am sure in my younger days my dogs only had their puppy vaccinations but I am blowed if I can remember when the yearly boosters came into fashion and were recommended

I do remember my vet saying that one can't "boost" immunity - it's either there or it isn't. Logical, really.

This is interesting- I will look into this and maybe stop the annual boosters if she has immunity

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back