The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is my dog is telling me to let her go?

Saxon Crow

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I have a 12 and a half year old labradoodle who has been slowing down a lot. All she is interested in is sleep and cuddles. This may sound weird but today I really got the distinct impression from her that she wants to go and is only hanging on for me and my wife. The strange thing is that my wife also had the same thought when we were apart from each other. Has anyone else experienced this? Obviously I am complete wreck because I know Bella is showing her love and loyalty for us. I don't want her to be in any pain. But it would be comforting to know if anyone else has had this? Thank you.

I'm sorry you are going through this.

There is a scale used to assess our pets' quality of life when they are old or unwell. I understand it was developed for cancer care but the principles apply to any life limiting condition. What is their quality of life in relation to Hurt, Hunger, Hydration, Hygiene, Happiness, Mobility and More good days than bad days. You can find more detail here

https://pawspice.com/q-of-l-care/new-page.html

There is a saying, better a week too soon than a day too late. It's a terrible decision but one that responsible owners have to face. If it helps, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

I'm sorry - this must be very hard for you. For what it's worth, a dog wouldn't 'hang on' for your benefit - they don't have that mental capacity, and also don't have a clear concept of death. My belief is that an animal can't really 'choose' to hang on or to let go. She is so fortunate to have you to make the right decision for her, though it may be the hardest decision you have ever had to make.

Hello
I’m so sorry this is happening.
I lost my Siberian husky very recently, he had been poorly for a while but treatment was helping.
He sat next to me one afternoon & just looked as if he had had enough.. It opened the conversation between my hubby & myself regarding letting him go.
I was able to plan his best day ever & my wonderful vet spoilt him rotten & he quietly passed.
Seven times I have had to make the worst decision a dog owner can face, I fully believe you & your dog will know.
Take care

Thanks all for your kind words. It's such a difficult thing to do. Especially as we know our dog is our once in a lifetime dog. She is so special and we are going to miss her terribly when she goes.

Thanks all for your kind words. It's such a difficult thing to do. Especially as we know our dog is our once in a lifetime dog. She is so special and we are going to miss her terribly when she goes.
Hello
It is the worst thing about getting a dog, you always know at some point you have to say good bye.
My boy has been gone nearly 3 months,he is still missed at the top of our stairs snoring. We had planned to rescue a dog whilst my boy was still with us, but sadly he declined quickly, but we went ahead & adopted Rosie a 6 year old GSD, I know my boy would approve.

Of course you will. It’s what goes with responsible loving ‘ownership’ (if there’s a more suitable noun please let me know). As said before, these companions give so much more than we can give them. There’s some semblance of comfort in knowing that she will not suffer. It’s an absolute bugger. I do feel for you.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back