The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is there a Safer, quicker release lead clasp?

Rosydog

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I run with my dog and trying to unclasp the lead from the collar quickly with current clasps is just about the most annoying thing in my day - AND I HAVE CHILDREN.
Hooking onto the dog collar is not too bad, but could be easier and sometimes the clasps just...open???  And debris gets into the spring mechanisms n stops them working completely!!!
Is there a more modern, safer, Quick release clasp out there or do people just buy what they know, therefore companies make what they buy?

A friend bought a quick release collar to use on his Whippet at racing, his dog is so keen to get in the trap it was hard to take its collar off. I do not know who made it but he had to buy it from the USA.

Of course there  quick release clips for "running" dogs over here. A friend used to have them for his lurchers.

Something for me to "Google".

I'm sure someone on this forum will help you.  Scroll down to the "Working and Lure Coursing" section.

I'm sure you could ask someone there.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Google" Quick release leather slip leads, there are loads on ebay!

Be careful what U wish for - a "panic snap" is indeed fast, but opens anytime someone JERKS on it, no matter whether that's U, the dog,  a passerby with a bizarre sense of humor, __________ .
They just open under sudden pressure, so no - not applicable if U want a snap that STAYS closed when U want it closed.  :b  // I bought a traffic lead once, that was the perfect length but the on-line description didn't stipulate that it came with a panic-snap; i had to wire it shut, then cover the wire with UV-resistant shrink-tubing. I put a double-ended clip between traffic lead & dog's collar.

- terry

Hi, Does anyone know of a lure coursing event in or around the Manchester area, i cant seem to find anything in the area, they all seem miles away, i am interested in taking my pup to see if she is interested, do the dogs have to be certain types, i have a female border collie that seems to like anything that moves quickly, (Rabbits, fox's, birds, and to be honest any kind of animal) her recall is spot on and she is very switched on and will part pay attention to me where ever she is or what ever she is doing, any help/support would be appreciated.

I'll tag @Biker John - he may know of something, or a website that would list a few...
Thanks in advance, BJ. :)

- terry

That's great, thank you for your help, she is willing oi am just unable to find anything for her.

there's also this -
UK SIGHTHOUND SPORT - lure coursing - Events

& these -

Lure coursing for sighthounds | Pets4Homes
Lure coursing for sighthounds | Pets4Homes
Lure coursing is an artificial form of hare coursing, in much the same way that drag ... Events are held regularly throughout the year, and the upcoming meet calendar and ...

Sporting Whippet Club - Simulated Coursing, UK Lure Coursing Club ...
Sporting Whippet Club - Simulated Coursing, UK Lure Coursing Club - About us
Lure Coursing for KC registered Whippets in the South of England!

tired dog good dog ALL breed open field FUN lure coursing - tireddog ...
https://www.tireddog-gooddog.com/
Our goal is a safe ... Have you ever been to a "tired dog good dog" lure coursing event?

Lure Crazy Field Events - South West Lurcher Shows
Lure Crazy Field Events
Racing, Coursing, Hurdles and Long Jump are great fun for dogs and owners alike, whatever your age or experience. ... Lure Crazy run a number of field events at shows across the South West, but also ... E-mail: kev.mumford@tiscali.co.uk

... plus apparently many breed clubs run their own events, but they may or may not allow a mixed-breed entry. U can always ask - the worst that might happen is 'No'. :)

- terry

LeeY, sorry as far as I know the only regular lure coursing events in the UK are in East Anglia. Their are some Whippet racing clubs, both pedigree and non ped. The Northern pedigree club, that runs at Leaisure Lakes allows all breeds to have a go at chasing the lure. And I am fairly sure other clubs will also allow your dog to run. It would of course be running on its own chasing the lure, but then again if it ran with a racing Whippet it would be left way behind.

@Biker John - sorry to bug U again, but have U heard of "Tired Dog Good Dog"?

Just wondered if they enjoy a decent rep, as an ongoing & legit operation; they advertise 'all breeds welcome'.
paws crossed, & thank U again,
- terry

aw, drabbit - i was afraid of that. :--\ Thanks, BJ.
Well, maybe someone here will try them out [hint, hint...], & get back to us with a review. :D

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back