The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is this big enough for whippet

dye29

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi all im a newbie and would like some advise i am building a kennel tommorow because i fancy getting myself a small whippet will the bedding area be ok 3ft x 3ft or is that too small i can push to 3x4 so he has a good 6ft run area also what size hatch will be good to go to and from run

Hello, I have had whippets for 30 years. Generally speaking whippets do not do well in kennels. I would suggest you either plan to house the dog indoors or pick a different breed.

I defo cant have one in house and for the kennel im fully insulating it with 3" kingspan and kennel heater if needed and the bed is approx 1ft off the concrete

It's not just about insulation and heating. It's about social interaction too.

I agree with the above. Whippets, and many other breeds, do not do well in kennels.

Could you not have an indoor kennel? Apart from the welfare of the dog, you will miss so much from your dog being outside.

i do get what you are saying but theres know way i can have one in house , im not making excuses but i will be with the dog all the time its not getting left in kennel 24/7 the only time it will be in there is when im in bed , my ferrets are with me more than some peoples family pets lol

As the risk of repeating what others have said, whippets just aren't the sort of tough dogs that are suited to kennels. They have very thin fur (sometimes bald in areas), almost no fat, and thin skin that tears easily. There's also the question of their hunting instinct - if a neighbour's cat walks across the garden during the night then there will almost certainly be a run-in, and it's not going to end well whoever comes out on top. If a fox comes into the garden then there will also very likely be a fight, and that's also likely to end badly (I have a male whippet who had to have about 20 stitches up the side of his face after a run-in with a fox, and he was one of three dogs, not on his own).

Something like a gun dog - springer spaniel, labrador, or fox hound, is much better suited to the outdoor life, having thicker fur, more body fat, tougher skin, less of a hunting instinct, and also (sad for us) a bit more common sense than whippets.

I suspect you'll find that most breeders and rescue charities wouldn't part with a whippet if they knew it was going outside.

Sorry to say , i have to agree with afore mentioned comments. A whippet is not a breed condusive to an outdoor kennel . I only have to hold dylans leg in my hand to see how incredibly thin his skin is. This breed is extremely vulnerable.

Its good you have posed the question though im thinking the responces may feel negative

A Whippet in a kennel outside !!!!!! that is a big no no. with a 6ft run area !!!!! how distressing for the dog. Whippets need a field to run in. If you can't have a Whippet in the house why have one, Stick with the ferrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took dylan to a fenced square park. I good acre if not more. He ran the perimeter 15 times full pelt. He is almost 6mths old. I have a 30ft garden but even that is not long enough.

I say this as the OP refers to a 6ft run!!. That isnt right.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back