The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

is whippet racing dieing out and how can we help

jimmy nail

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
is whippet racing dieing out and how can we help promorte races and get it back on the map where it belongs . i feel it got less populor since 1992 when it stated dieing out . i also feel that websites like this one are very good and like to log in and read the lastest whippet news (non pedigree) .id like to take this chance to say since becoming a member on this site i love it . its great.hope i get some feed back :luck:

hi jimmy i dont know if its dying out ,i think its difficult to get the young ones really interested maybe if you racing on the play station we would have no worrys,but since i joined k 9 ive realised there is a lot of commited racers out who have no intention of letting this great sport die. phil

hi Jimmy

Glad you brought this subject up. Why the sport is dying is because the clubs have gone. Everyone wants to travel up and down the country going to the big open events instead of enjoying the sport at their local club.

When I lived up north in the 1980's there were over 20 clubs and all enjoyed get-togethers and league racing between clubs, friendly matches and just visiting. Where have all these clubs gone - Alnwick, Amble, East Chevington, North Seaton, Ashington, Seaton Burn, Killingworth, Cramlington, Bedlington, Coxlodge, Backworth, Rising Sun, Bigges Main, North Walbottle, Derwent, Winlaton, Dunstob, Felling, Boldon, Handon Hold etc., Now there is just Bigges Main, Rising Sun and Coxlodge. All these clubs had racing equipment. The north east was the biggest region and now look at it.

If we could find a way of getting the clubs back we would thrive again. Its not just the north east but the whole of England the same. South Yorkshire was a large region, now only has 2 clubs and west midlands only l.

:oops: rocky north walbottle (westerhope) is still running on Sunday mornings. :thumbsup:

The cause may be helped if all club secretaries or member with access to this site named their club with a short description of times handicaps start what distances raced over and a short word of how to get to the club and if puppy training or even trap training is available during the light nights.

:D I WILL START OFF FOR NEWTON AYCLIFFE W.R.C. WE ARE DUE TO START RACING TUESDAY NIGHTS ON 20/4/04 WE HAVE TWO RACING FORMATS YD/LB & TIME HANDICAP 150 YDS ANYONE WISHING TO TRIAL PUPPIES OR RACE IN EITHER HANDICAP ARE QUIET WELCOLME :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
BLIDWORTH W.R.C. Starts Wednesday Evenings 7th April 6-00pm for trials, pup training and a mixed handicap, (distance and handicap drawn out each meeting)

MANTON CLUB STARTS RACING IN THE EVENINGS ON THE FIRST TUESDAY IN APRIL I THINK. :b ........KAREN WILL PUT ME RIGHT IF I AM WRONG :oops:

we been to stockton tonight (wed 6.30) and there was quite a good turn out ...plenty of pups trailing

dee...been a lazy bird again lol

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back