The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Itching and biting paws

Zemroy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Please help,

My dog Tyson is 6 years old over the past 2years has sporadically bitten his paws and mire recently tummy to pieces. He has had on going ear infections that are due to abnormal ear canal shape but we seem ti have this under control. The 2 major episodes with the paws have started in summer through to winter. I have had him allergy tested to great expense, he is allergic to dust mites, which i have treated the whole house, i wash his bedding daily in sensitive detergent. I hoover several times a day. He is midly allergic to beef, so no beef products. I freeze his dried food as recoommended, he is on James wellbeloved turkey as recommended for dogs with skin problems. The vets cant think what to do am going again tomorrow as so worried, they call him a topic dog and as he gets older this will worsen. He has a lampshade in his head at the moment as soon as i remove it he will bite and scratch till bloody!

He is wormed and fleaed does not have fleas as i check him all the time. He is on Piriton recommended by vets, doesnt seem to help. Steroids help but not a longterm solution. My heart is breaking as i cannot bear to see him like this, and if this is what his life is going to be like i would have to consider the unthinkable.

Please i would love to hear from anyone who knows anything, suggestions or has a similar dog.

Many thanks for your time.

If hes got hair under his paws ut might be good to shave it off as leaving them wet does irratate one of mine

If he's itchy under his belly is there any involvement with grass or pollen allergy? Do you rinse and dry paws and undercarriage after walks to remove anything he may have picked up on his skin during a walk?

Another alternative to both this and the lampshade (at least for his body) is for him to wear pyjamas in the house so his skin is not available to him to irritate and a body suit while out. You can get comfortable suits custom made in lycra or fleece, and outdoor suits which are waterproof and they cover right down to his ankles.

This sort of thing:

http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=jnnproo4

They aren't cheap, but they're definitely worth thinking of before considering the hard decisions, as is an intermittent steroid treatment. I know that steroids aren't the sort of thing that you want him on long term, but I'm asthmatic and I can tell you quite how much of a huge impact just one week of prednisolone can have on asthma for months ahead.

I hope that you find a way forwards with him :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back