The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Itching puppy, fleas or human shampoo!?

QsMummy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello. My 10 week old puppy is due his 2nd vaccination in January and although the vet says he is allowed out back for potty training, she will not give him his flea treatment until he gets his vaccination.

Today especially when he came in from doing his business, he was scratching and itching his skin quite vigorously, even growling as he was scratching. It's not just his body, but around his ears and face too.

I wanted to point this out in case it could be fleas, however 48 hours ago while my mother in law was looking after him, for some reason she decided to give my 10 week old puppy a shower using her own shampoo!! Although he wasn't showing signs of skin irritation yesterday, can this be the cause? I was already furious at her for washing him without our consent, but washing him with her own shampoo is just irresponsible, especially with him being a puppy. Does this sound like it could be the cause of his itching? If so, should I wash him again (its been 2 days) with puppy shampoo? He is my first dog so I'm still learning. Please advise, thank you.

It could be that it was the shampoo. Can you get any coconut oil? You can massage that into his coat to relieve the itching and if he licks it off it won't harm him.

Yes, just warm it to body temperature and rub a little in. Get organic if you can. I also meant to say it's unlikely he would have picked up a flea if he hasn't been in contact with another host, but examine his coat for what looks and feels like dark grit. If you find any (base of his tail where it meets his body seems a favourite place) put it on some wet white kitchen roll and gently rub. If it leaves a brown mark it is likely to be flea faeces.

Your mother inlaw is a total fool who obviously dosnt own a dog, well I hope not,, as Joanne said it's very likely the shampoo, If the dog was older I'd even try a antistamine but listen to Jo as she knows her stuff.

Thanks. I already own good organic coconut oil so I rubbed some in my hands to warm it up and rubbed it into his coat. He seems better. I still don't understand why she showered him! We only got him last Saturday and bathed him with proper puppy shampoo that evening as he was really smelly. There was really no need to shower him again less than a week later, and she didn't even ask permission! Still angry about it.

It doesn't look like he has fleas, although I didn't rule it out as my indoor cat who lived with my mother on the 13th floor managed to get fleas multiple times even though no one ever brought in (or owned) another pet. Vet said they must have been brought in on shoes!

Oh yes, fleas can lie dormant for years until disturbed by vibrations. An acquaintance of mine had two indoor cats. They used to own dogs but they had all been gone for about two years. A handyman did some work in a room used regularly, in past years, by the dogs and the house was suddenly infested with fleas. The cats were bitten to death and everyone had to move out of the house while it was fumigated. The company that fumigated the house told them to dump their carpets, their sofas and all their beds! All this not covered by insurance either!

I had a similar problem with my older dog and it turned out that she was just sensitive to lots of things. I heard about a product called BioPlus for Dogs and Cats, it is immunotherapy and it is in capsule form sprinkled on their food once a week, it works out so much cheaper than going to the Vet AND it made a huge difference to my dog, she is so much happier in herself and is even behaving like a puppy! Information of this produce can be found if you google BioPlus For Dogs and Cats.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back