The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Its yer choice vs leave it vs wait vs stay

Shalista

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can anyone provide clarity on how to use these different things? I want to work on Freddie’s impulse control so I’ve been doing a lot of it’s yer choice work with him which he loves and he’s brilliant at. But there’s a part of me that feels like the longer I wait to reward after the look away the more I’m just teaching a basic leave it or wait.

How I’ve been doing it’s yer choice.

Present treat in closed palm. When he looks away place treat on ground. Keep adding treats for as long as he looks away. Cover treats with hand if he shows interest. Allow him to sweep the pile after several treats have been added and he continues to look away.

Shalista - I know you want him to be the best dog there is, and to be the best owner there is, but the most important thing you can give this dog is TIME to settle in. Please please step back from the PhD stuff and let him get through kindergarten. You are probably the best thing that has happened to him in his life so far - take it easy, take it slowly.

He’s been here over a month. At what point is enough time to start training him?

We usually give our rescue dogs 6 months to decompress and settle before hard training ...

Also... some 'training' just evolves. I never really thought about what 'wait' would mean with Jasper, it just came to mean, pretty much, 'Whatever it is you're thinking about doing, don't do it.' A raised finger sent the same message, though I never intentionally trained for it. Freddie is clearly smart and eager to please, so he'll pick up what you're asking for, without you needing to do anything but interact with him. I'm a great believer in using the words/phrases that come naturally, which is why 'Walk nicely, dammit' (actually the dammit wasn't entirely needed!) came to be one of my go-to phrases, and 'Oi!' also had its uses.

So... just relax, talk to Freddie, and tell him he's a good boy when he is a good boy :)

I have to agree with all of the above and about training evolving as a consequence of the time you spend together... I do feel if you take the pressure of trying to teach him many things off and take time to relax with each other first and just be, it could benefit you both immensely...

I specifically wanted to work on his impulse control because I hoped it would help with his barrier frustration with other dogs. I have a sprained ankle so I can’t take him on our usual long walks and he’s not interacting with other dogs so I figured this would help us work towards a goal of calmer walks without actually going on said walks.

Also I want a really solid wait because he door dashes and this is a safety issue.

Then you need some form of barricade. This always works, but training, no matter how good, is never 100%.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back