The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Josie: A Bully Whippet

elkiehound

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was reading another thread today about a genome study in whippets that have a myostatin gene disorder, causing them to be "double-muscled"

We have Josie, who we wondered if she was a whippet cross staffie, but now we beleive to be one of these bully whippets.

Does anyone know anything about them, how rare they are and what health problems they get.

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....25995&st=15

There have been one or two discussions about bully whippets in the past on K9. Here's an old thread. It may be of use to you; I haven't read it to see if it answers your question specifically, but hope it gives you more info.

Actually...I wonder if that's the thread you refer to in your post? :b

Last edited by a moderator:
I've copied and pasted a reply I did recently, we also own a bully whippet (we're non-ped racers but the lining was accidental)

The other anamoly is the bully whippet caused by the pairing of 2 recessive genes that have a myostatin mutation. Dogs carrying one of the recessive genes are faster and their physical appearance does give a strong suspician of being a carrier. Even so dogs that line that carry the single gene will not produce a litter of puppies that all carry the defect because it is recessive and owners are selective in their breeding. Some UK non-peds participated in the myostatin research study (as it is hoped to be a means to cure muscular dystrophy and other muscle wasting conditions in humans)Breeders can screen their dogs for this condition if they wish (see non-ped stud feature). Their is little evidence that the condition causes health problems but some have suggested a shortened life span compared to siblings because of the mutation possibly being effective on heart muscle. The anamoly is a complex one in that it appears variable in it's presentation physically and is pre-disposed to environmental factors, i.e. overfeeding which can result in the condition being exascerbated. If you wish to research this further I recommend reading Ostrander's research results and papers relating to belgian blue cattle who also have the anamoly.

Prevalence in the UK is small, I can count on one hand how many I've seen and most have been kept by the breeders because of their character and a concern for their future well being (myself included resulting from an accidental mating)

Dr Ostrander has subsequently been approached by myself asking if she would like further DNA samples from non-peds incase they choose to research the anamoly further.

The only real issue I would mention is cramping, to which they can be prone. The key to preventing this is to keep the muscle very lean i.e. do not overfeed, these dogs have (like the belgian blues) an amazing ability to convert every bit of food into muscle tissue. The media have used Wendy the bully whippet as a prime example of a bully whippet but I personally feel this dog's appearance is due to overfeeding. As for my comments about heart muscle possibly being effected it is like I said a possibility, no-one knows for sure whether this is the case.

Posting a pik would be really helpful as they tend to have features besides the double muscling that'll highlight if this is the case with your dog.

Some piks of Sasha - I would hope people think she's a tad better looking than Wendy the Bully whippet.

sasha.sized.jpg

clipboard01.sized.jpg

clipboard30.sized.jpg

clipboard02_001.sized.jpg

aww jac she is lovely! bet she is a real sweetheart too

hello all

we have a bully whippet she is only 7 months old and suffers muscle cramps very upsetting to hear her crying

have tried a few things but no joy yet seems we might have to try drugs but its not knowing which to try first

has any one here got a bully whippet that we can talk to and share there experiances

cheers

Doug

betzy.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back