The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Judging

Nicola

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
How can one tell how well a show whippet moves? What exactly does one look for? What does a show judge look out for in the ring?

I have a good idea of what a judge looks for in a Whippet's form, ie they have to adhere to certain standards for that breed i.e. shape of head, ears to name a few. I'm just not quite sure how they assess how well a dog moves. I was chatting to someone at the last show I went to (the S Yorkshire Whippet Club Breed Open Show) and they pointed out whippets that were moving well, and invariably these ones won that class. I couldn't tell the difference between ones that moved well and didn't move well. What are the determining factors for how well a whippet moves round the show ring and how can you tell?

I've now ordered the JP Moran-Healy book so I shuldn't have to keep asking all these questions soon. However this is something that has been intriguing me, and  I would appreciate any comments.

Hi Nicola

There is a very good video which I think is just called The Whippet, and it shows movement in slow motion, as well as detailed commentary.  It is a long time since I've watched it, but I do remember it being quite interesting.  I believe you can get it from Llyn Chapman at the Whippet Rescue - I have just been to have a look, and you can get it from LLyn - the price is £14.99, and her phone number is 01189 724285.  Hope this helps. ;)

Thanks June,

I've just spoken to Llyn, and she's going to send me an order form. She's also talked me into joining the Whippet Rescue Club! Didn't take much persuading really.

It's well worth it Nicola.  Apart from the lovely newsletters, they have lots of nice cards and things at Xmas, and they do rehome lots of unwanted whippets.  Some of the stories and obituaries are heartbreaking though, have some hankies ready!!

I agree with June that the whippet rescue do an excellent job.  It really is a shame that the whippet rescue open has had to be cancelled due to pressure from the WCRA.  As pointed out by'K' in the pedigree forum, the whippet rescue stand to lose almost £1000. :sad:

HI nicola

As a relative necomer i hope by basic understanding will help you.

Legs front or back should not cross over each other.

The front legs should not be raised too high in a hackney (as in pony ) action.

of course ther are other points to take into consideration but these are probably 2 of the easiest for the untrained eye (like ourselves) to observe.

In general fore legs should be thrown well forward and the hind legs should come in well under the body to drive forward. The movement should flow and look effortless!!  I THINK !!!!

Thanks for all your advice. "The Whippet" video arrived yesterday. It's very good and shows how a whippet should and shouldn't move and how it should conform to kennel club standards. I was trying to get my whippet Fred to stand next to the telly, so I could compare him to the whippets on the video! It was lovely watching the racing and coursing whippets. It looks like they really enjoy themselves! What a good video!

I think it's only available through the Whippet Rescue (contact details above a few messages before), but I'm sure someone else will confirm if this is true or not.

Jill,

The best person to try is Gay Robertson, who made the video.  If you contcat me off-line, I can give you her details.

Vanna

For a whippet to movement correctly it has to be constructed correctly, that is with the correct shoulder, a top line that is not flat or drops away to much and the correct angles in the rear, what does all this mean? TIME, that is all it takes, watch, listern, watch some more than come up with reasons yourself. Its all about learning, people can tell you "that whippet is bad" ask them to tell you why, the same as why a whippet is good. Whippets are not like other dogs and sometimes judges have a hard time telling a good one from a bad as, they are not just a square box with a head at one end and a tail at the other, can be a hard breed to judge if the judge is also unsure, many a time a pretty brindle has gone up as the judge doesn't know what is correct!! Maybe this is just my experince. It just takes time to learn and one day you will be able to look at a whippet (including your own) and understand what makes a good whippet. Good luck with showing and your future whippets.

May be in the British Isles things are different as I would imagine you have very good judges . Our whippets have always done well under U.K. U.S., Canadian and Irish judges who visit Spain. We are very reluctant to go under Spanish or other foreign judges. Prefer to save our money, gasoil, hotels etc. How can you expect a country to produce good whippet judges where the number of registrations a year is under 20. There is a well known Spanish judge of many breeds who in an article in a  Spanish doggy magazine last month claimed that the whippet is not too good for hunting as over the years it has lost its sense of smell. This fellow breeds Afgans!!So, yes, due to ignorance an attractive particolour  wins. Its like sending a Scot to judge Spanish Greyhounds (galgos españoles). There are probably very good Spanish judges for cockers and other popular breeds. The Scadinavians are o.k. Stephen Mason, Madrid (exiled Sheffield lad).

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back