The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Just a question

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dottie lottie, May 30, 2021.

1. Dottie lottie

Dottie lottie New Member Registered

My 13 year old lab has been diagnosed with having a small stroke, he has a bit of a wobble when he walks, eye flicking , but this is receding a bit now, the vet has put him on vitofyllin tablets which i see i can get on line a lot cheaper, my question is how do i get a prescription from the vet? Will they just hand it over?
    Any folks who have a dog with the same thing, advice needed, its so scary. Thank you.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

I don't have experience of the condition, but I can tell you vets will normally write you a prescription and charge you for it - it's still likely to be cheaper to buy it online though.

I would add that this is NOT about vets ripping customers off - the online companies can supply medications for less because of bulk purchasing, and there are controls imposed on vets that prevent them from discounting drugs.

Dottie lottie likes this.
  3. Inka

Inka Active Member Registered

You ask for a precription, they write it charge you for it and hand it to you.

4. Dottie lottie

Thank you, much appreciated. :) Archie is a bit better today, still has a wobble and a head tilt, hoping this gets better soon.

JoanneF likes this.
  5. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

Goodness, this was a long time ago but we had a girl that had a stroke (I don't remember what medications she had), she was walking in tilted circles, a bit like she was pissed.
    One of her daily brain exercises prescribed by our vet was to carefully walk her up and down the stairs, I really don't remember if there was anything else!
    She made a good recovery with only a very slight tilt to her head, otherwise everything was normal and life carried on!

Dottie lottie likes this.
  6. Dottie lottie

Thats good news, hes walking a bit better today but niw off his food!