The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kc puppy contract?

Tish

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all

I am on the waiting list for a KC pup at present and have been in contact with a breeder who has a very young litter at present. I have owned this breed of dog before but we kind of inherited her so i have never had experience of dealing with a breeder. she passed away and we are only now ready to look for another dog. What is the process when getting a puppy from a KC breeder. It seems a bit vague at this point. I understand all the needs of this breed and the responsibilities which is why we are only now ready. What does the contract entail? He hasn't been very forthcoming but if i am going to travel to Staffordshire i would like to see the contract before hand is this possible?

Hiya

It really depends on the breeder, I have bought 2 kc registered dogs from different breeders, the first I paid my money was given his KC paper change of details form and I left with the dog, filled in the form paid my £25 cheque to the kennel club and got his pedigree papers in the post a few weeks later.

The 2nd dog I was given a contract to sign stating that if I ever had to rehome the dog I would return it to her not pass him on to a 3rd party, his KC papers were coming with endorsements stating that I could not export the dog to any other countries and that I could not register any puppies he sired with the KC, he came with a vaccination card, puppy food, care guide and regular emails from his breeder to check he was settling in etc 3 years down the line I am still in contact with her.

Email or ring the breeder and ask exactly what his contracts state that way both parties are fully informed before you go to collect your puppy.

Good luck :luck:

I always tell puppy buyers up front about my contract and I email them a generic copy to read before we go any further and before they ever come visit. Then when they pick up the puppy I go through it all with them again. It outlines my responsibility as a breeder (ie I will take the dog back at any time), the needs of the dog/breed etc. the response I've had from every person who's read it is along the lines if 'it's all common sense and what I would do anyway, so why wouldn't I sign it'.

I had one guy call me back after his partner had talked to me and I had told her about the contract. He was rude and insulting and I said that I was required by the rules of the Assured Breeder Scheme to have one, but I understood his reasons and would be happy to help him find a responsible breeder who wasn't a member and may not require a contract. I was extremely polite and his reaps ones was 'I'm not stupid, I'm intelligent too and can certainly figure out how to find a dog' and slammed the phone down. There was no reason for him to be so OTT and rude, especially when I wasn't responding rudely back, but still offering to help. So I can only think he wanted a dog to breed his bitch to and 'make lots of money' which wasn't going to be with one of mine.

Anyway, I digress. A good breeder will happily share their contract with you if you ask.

My advice would be to find a breeder that has been recommended if you can, anyone reluctant to let you see a contract would be off my list. Good for you to be ready for another dog too. The loss of a Family pet can be very heartbreaking and it does take time. Having a puppy is hard work and yet so rewarding so be sure you are buying one from a good breeder/home. I cannot guide you on KC breeders as my last 2 were from Dog rescues and I was delighted.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back