The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Keeping a rescue from abroad warm in the uk?

Kelda

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there!
I recently adopted a rescue dog from Thailand and she will be coming to live with me in Scotland later on in the year. She is quite lean and small and doesn't have too much hair so obviously I will have to get her some warm clothes before she arrives as the climate will be very different. I've looked into it but there seem to be so many different products I'm not sure what would be best suited for her to keep her warm and dry. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful! Thank you in advance :)
Kelda

Ageed you can get cheaper lighter doggy jumpers for indoors should she need it but equafleece are great for outdoors although you need to measure her for the ordering so preordering might be a problem.

Hi, we have quite a selection of high quality dog clothing and luxury accessories that will stand the test of time due the the quality of the products and materials our designers use.

We are also completely eco friendly and part of Selfridges #projectocean meaning we use absolutely no plastic in our packaging.

https://www.aurorapets.co.uk

@JoanneF and @Mad Murphy
Thank you both, I will ask for her measurements to be emailed to me! So do you think the Equafleece would be enough on it's own or would I need to pair with a raincoat? I know you said it is rainproof but it will be a very big temperature change for her... I've heard that the Hurtta summit parka is quite good? Thank you :)

@Aurora Pets I will have a look, thank you!

The Equafleece will probably be fine for most weather in Scotland - here is my dog with his, in the Borders in December I think.

20171124_132913.jpg

also, especially as she's small in size, i'd be sure to accustom her to wearing dog-boots as quickly as possible. :)

Small dogs chill quickly b/c they have less body-mass per their surface-area, & their feet and ears are 2 places they lose a lot of body-heat; contact with wet surfaces & particularly running / moving water is even more chilling than, say, walking on cold stone paving or cold concrete would be, as moving water carries body-heat away extremely efficiently.
U can start getting her used to booties by putting cheap thin disposable booties on her, as they weigh almost nothing & can be bought a half-inch or so too big, then secured with vet-wrap so they don't fall off when she moves.
Obv, U don't want to just shove 'em on & make her wear them! -
using a marker [clicker, penlight-flash, whatever U like] & high-protein tidbits, U teach her that boots are a Good Thing by rewarding any interaction she has with them, however brief or minor, B4 she ever puts them on her feet.

Similar to this -

dog looks at it - Click! / treat
one step toward it - C! / t
2 steps - C! / t
stands over - C! / t
puts head down - C! / t
etc... ; each incremental step of notice / approach / sniff, EVERY potential interaction, is rewarded, & U gradually raise the bar of "What's rewarded"; once she sniffs it, 'steps toward' & 'looks at' are not rewarded.
Once she sniffs them, U can pick them up & lay them on her - again rewarding her for LETTING U touch her with with them! - 1st on her body in safe places [chest, shoulder], then her PAWS -
which she will be instantly inclined to pull away. This is instinctive - dogs can't flee with a paw trapped, so touching paws is always worrying.

Heavily reward the 1st instance of touching her paw with the disposable boot, & she DOESN'T pull away - a jackpot here is good. [6 to 12
pea-sized or half-pea sized, high protein, high value tidbits, fed individually in a string - as quick as she swallows one, the next is presented, & warm quiet praise is ongoing.]
Giving her time to think about that is good - put away the booties, let her literally sleep on it & don't try again until the next day. // U know U're making real progress when she SEES the booties, & wags! :D

This process can take longer to describe than to do - the dog is opting in, & U mark & reward every instance of co-operation.
Once U get the disposables on her, vet-wrap them so they stay on, & get her to walk in them, introducing "real" boots - WHICH HAVE WEIGHT - will be much, much faster & simpler. ;)

HTH,
- terry

this is Sky, my client's granddog, wearing his Helios coat -

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 12.27.54 PM.png

the outer jacket is waterproof, the interior jacket is fleece & insulates well, & each can be worn separately.
:)
It velcroes under the chest & around the neck, stays put well, & the outer jacket velcroes to the liner to make it stay in place. // The liner is velcroed shut, then the outer coat is velcroed shut ABOVE that closure, on both tabs. It's very secure.

This is Helios' 2nd-best warmest model
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DogHelios-Thunder-crackle-Waded-Plush-Adjustable-Reflective/dp/B00W97GT70/

& this is their absolute-best warm, windproof, waterproof model -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DogHelios-Weather-King-Ultimate-Windproof-Bodied/dp/B01FM6MQPI/

,,, which naturally is out of stock. :rolleyes:

Blackshark heat-retention technology is quite incredible, it reflects the body's own heat back into it, & thus helps enormously in very cold or damp/chilly conditions.

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back