The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kennel Cough

Joanna

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I would like to know what whippet owners feel should happen now that kennel cough has reared it's ugly head again. My personal view is all meetings should be cancelled for 2 weeks at least. My dogs have been at Cots and Glos with dogs who were in Cornwall so could have been exposed to the virus. We have made the decision not to go any-where for 2 weeks so that if we are incubating the virus, we will not infect others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joanna said:
I would like to know what whippet owners feel should happen now that kennel cough has reared it's ugly head again. My personal view is all meetings should be cancelled for 2 weeks at least. My dogs have been at Cots and Glos with dogs who were in Cornwall so could have been exposed to the virus. We have made the decision not to go any-where for 2 weeks so that if we are incubating the virus, we will not infect others.
Mine was only at Cornwall and Charity racing and he is fine, I'm seeing the Lizard Club at a meeting on thursday so will ask them how their dogs are, okay.

Has it? I know that Joyce has a boarder with it but she hasn't been anywhere since the dog arrived so there's no danger there. Apart from that I haven't heard anything. Am I a mushroom?

Judy said:
Has it? I know that Joyce has a boarder with it but she hasn't been anywhere since the dog arrived so there's no danger there. Apart from that I haven't heard anything. Am I a mushroom?
Yes, join the mushroom club, look at Caz's post below :- "

Duh! I read this thread first 'cus it was at the top. Sounds like Caz & Gary's dogs must have picked it up at Ragley if they only started coughing the middle of last week. Anyone else that went to Ragley will know by now if they got it. Its the ones who were at Cornwall that will have to wait and see if they picked it up :( If nobody else has by the this weekend then I should think we are safe.

Judy said:
Duh! I read this thread first 'cus it was at the top. Sounds like Caz & Gary's dogs must have picked it up at Ragley if they only started coughing the middle of last week. Anyone else that went to Ragley will know by now if they got it. Its the ones who were at Cornwall that will have to wait and see if they picked it up  :(   If nobody else has by the this weekend  then I should think we are safe.
I hope so Judy, but many of us have been with dogs who were at Cornwall. Isn't itt possible to incubate the virus without displaying symptoms?

Well any dogs who got it at Cornwall should be showing the symptoms by the weekend. If none of the dogs who were at Cornwall start coughing by this weekend (2 weeks later) then they won't have passed it on. If some do then there is a problem as they may have passed it on last weekend. I'm just saying that we should know if we are safe or not by this weekend.

Judy said:
Well any dogs who got it at Cornwall should be showing the symptoms by the weekend. If none of the dogs who were at Cornwall start coughing by this weekend (2 weeks later) then they won't have passed it on. If some do then there is a problem as they may have passed it on last weekend. I'm just saying that we should know if we are safe or not by this weekend.
Yes I see what you are saying. This week-end is quite crucial. Fingers crossed that this is isolated.

Joanna said:
Judy said:
Yes I see what you are saying. This week-end is quite crucial. Fingers crossed that this is isolated.

I know that the local foxhound pack have the cough and have been and are still coughing, dont know if any other packs of hounds were shown at Ragley but could be a link. Our dogs were at Cornwall and at the moment, touch wood, are fine.

Joanna said:

we will not be going anywhere for a few weeks. but the trouble is some people are prepared to take the risk for the sake of points, so it is a lottery as to which open you will pick it up at

How long was opens cancelled for last outbreak earlier on in year? Was it 4 weeks/21 days? Hope it doesn't go too far :luck: :luck:

Not good News, for this to rear its ugly head again :(

Think we will give racing a miss for a couple of weeks like others, just to be on the safe side.

Jenny was at Glos at the weekend so are our dogs likely to have been exposed to it??

Cheers Neil

Bingo! said:
Not good News, for this to rear its ugly head again :(
Think we will give racing a miss for a couple of weeks like others, just to be on the safe side.

Jenny was at Glos at the weekend so are our dogs likely to have been exposed to it??

Cheers Neil

no one at gloucester had been to cornwall so you should be safe :luck:

if it was picked up at ragley hall the owners would know by now.

Fynn was at S.Cots last week with dogs who were at Cornwall and we were at Glos this week, so in theory, there is exposure from Glos. I don't want to ruin fun, but we could have it. It is unlikely, but I feel it is only fair to our dogs and other people's for us to stay clear for a week or two. I am thinking if we show no symptoms by Thurs /Fri next week we are clear, but Lloyd and I feel we are not 100 % sure we haven't be exposed,sadly this means that all who attended Glos on Sunday cannot be sure they haven't been exposed to the virus either. We were not the only people there on Sunday who were at S.Cots with dogs who had been to Cornwall. :(

This is no-ones's fault.

Joanna said:
Fynn was at S.Cots last week with dogs who were at Cornwall and we were at Glos this week, so in theory, there is exposure from Glos. I don't want to ruin fun, but we could have it. It is unlikely, but I feel it is only fair to our dogs and other people's for us to stay clear for a week or two. I am thinking if we show no symptoms by Thurs .Fri next week we are clear, but Lloyd and I feel we are not 100 % sure we haven't be exposed.
fingers crossed for you joanna hope your dogs will be alright :thumbsup:

we havent seen another dog or a track since the champs :)

getting fedup cooking sunday roasts :lol:

peppermint sue said:
Joanna said:
Fynn was at S.Cots last week with dogs who were at Cornwall and we were at Glos this week, so in theory, there is exposure from Glos. I don't want to ruin fun, but we could have it. It is unlikely, but I feel it is only fair to our dogs and other people's for us to stay clear for a week or two. I am thinking if we show no symptoms by Thurs .Fri next week we are clear, but Lloyd and I feel we are not 100 % sure we haven't be exposed.
fingers crossed for you joanna hope your dogs will be alright :thumbsup:

we havent seen another dog or a track since the champs :)

getting fedup cooking sunday roasts :lol:

Hey Sue, pop up ours Sunday and cook a roast and Lloyd will give you a big snog.........I hate cooking roast and it's his favourite. Our dogs will be fine as they are youngish and fit. Trouble is, many racers have oldies and youngsters who aren't as robust, and we need to be mindful of that. See you all at the champs with a fair wind :thumbsup:

Joanna said:
Fynn was at S.Cots last week with dogs who were at Cornwall and we were at Glos this week, so in theory, there is exposure from Glos. I don't want to ruin fun, but we could have it. It is unlikely, but I feel it is only fair to our dogs and other people's for us to stay clear for a week or two. I am thinking if we show no symptoms by Thurs /Fri next week we are clear, but Lloyd and I feel we are not 100 % sure we haven't be exposed,sadly this means that all who attended Glos on Sunday cannot be sure they haven't been exposed to the virus either. We were not the only people there on Sunday who were at S.Cots with dogs who had been to Cornwall. :( This is no-ones's fault.

How could you pick it up at South Cotswolds from dogs that had been to cornwall when South Cotswolds ran on the same day as cornwall i just wish people would stop scare mongering these couple of cases are just isolated cases.

lynxexpress said:
Joanna said:
Fynn was at S.Cots last week with dogs who were at Cornwall and we were at Glos this week, so in theory, there is exposure from Glos. I don't want to ruin fun, but we could have it. It is unlikely, but I feel it is only fair to our dogs and other people's for us to stay clear for a week or two. I am thinking if we show no symptoms by Thurs /Fri next week we are clear, but Lloyd and I feel we are not 100 % sure we haven't be exposed,sadly this means that all who attended Glos on Sunday cannot be sure they haven't been exposed to the virus either. We were not the only people there on Sunday who were at S.Cots with dogs who had been to Cornwall. :( This is no-ones's fault.

How could you pick it up at South Cotswolds from dogs that had been to cornwall when South Cotswolds ran on the same day as cornwall i just wish people would stop scare mongering these couple of cases are just isolated cases.

I hope you are right Roy. If I have been misinformed, I apologise, though at your puppy night this week, there were people who had been in Cornwall, and some of Glos members attended that evening and came to our club Sunday. We could still have been exposed. As I said, this is no-one's fault but we need to be vigilant and prevent spread.

these couple of cases are just isolated cases
Oh and edit to say, every-one has a choice, I asked a question, we have made our decision it's entirely up to the individual as to what they decide to do.[

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back