The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kennel Cough

scottishlass

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
found out my 3 dogs were in contact with dogs that had kennel cough on the 11th of september and again on the 17th, 2 of them starting coughing on sunday 21st and the other has never caught the cough so far. the 2 that were coughing have got better and are only coughing now and again when do folks think its safe to start mixing with other dogs again

Last edited by a moderator:
scottishlass said:
found out my 3 dogs were in contact with dogs that had kennel cough on the 11th of september and again on the 17th, 2 of them starting coughing on sunday 21st and the other has never caught the cough so far. the 2 that were coughing have got  better and are only coughing  now and again when do folks think its safe to start mixing with other dogs again
Generally you need to have 2 clear weeks after you've been in contact, to be sure your dogs don't have it. They say the dogs don't pass it on unless they're coughing, but it's been found in our racing dogs that because they are so close and panting when on the lure, that it can pass on before the dogs cough. They are normally incubating it for a good few days before they cough. Sometimes not all dogs in the household catch it at the same time. When ours had it, one went down with it first, then a couple more a few days later, and eventually they all had it. It's very contagious :( Cross your fingers and hope :luck: I would say that if the last time they were in contact was 17th - give it 14 days, and if no coughing you might have escaped it. Hope that was helpful, and good luck :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back