The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kennel cough

Northener

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, got a 7 year old Mongrel. She's been diagnosed with kennel cough. Vet gave her Sinolux (antibiotic) injection yesterday and a course of antibiotics. This morning she's the same not eating or drinking and just layed there. How long will she be like this? Do i ride the storm or take her to an emergency vet?

This is her Lola

WP_000074.jpg

What a lovely dog! And so sorry this has happened. Kennel Cough is a nasty thing and can make dogs feel awful, like they've got the flu, and- as we do- wanting to do nothing bar lying around and not wanting to eat. The only danger signal here is not drinking- very bad for kidneys. If still not drinking I'd have a talk to the vet on the phone and ask for advice.

Hi, a beautiful dog. Sorry she is not feeling well. All my life I have had dogs various breeds. Two weeks ago I rescued a beautiful 21month old Bullx Greyhound/lurcher from my local Kennels. The whole process of adoption took just 6 days after Millie (dawg) being checked for behaviour, we being checked for behavior etc:- and, Millie's vet check. When we we due to collect her on the Saturday morning we had a call from the rescue saying she had kennel cough but was seeing the vet later and, we could pick her up in the afternoon. Feeling a little worried, we were reassured that she would have a course of anti biotics (for us to administer) over the following week and, she should then be OK. Millie was delighted to see us when we arrived, (coughing a little) but, still full of beans. We got her home and, she was a delight on the Saturday evening. Sunday we took he for an easy walk and, she seemed happy and, content to be in her new loving home. Monday!!! Husband went to work (she had become really attached to him on the past two days). Millie seemed very 'low' and, quiet. I thought maybe she was missing the husband. However, this behaviour carried on for the next five days. She still loved her walk and, the freedom, but was coughing and sneezing badly. I did some research (as we do) and, realised that she had cannine flu (part of kennel cough). After lot's of cuddles and love, combined with her anti biotics, childrens Benylin cough mixture, a week later (Saturday) she turned the corner and, bounced back to life again. It has taken yet another week, with a small amount of coughing and, still sneezing but, I think we have got there eventually!! Kennel cough is horrid for our fur babies. As it is for us! (flu that is). It is important to monitor the water intake, they must keep hydrated at all times. If she is not drinking then, straight back to the vets where they should be giving intravenous. A stay over but, worth it in the end. Good luck with your lovely girl, she is adorable. Please keep us posted. P>S. I asked at the rescue why all of the dogs are not given the 'cough' drops when they arrive. apparently, they don't do it because it actually gives the dog the virus and, therefore it can still pass on the 'cough'!! Urm, not sure about that!! Good luck and, don't worry too much? G

To be fair to rescues it's a difficult one. The Kennel Cough virus keeps on mutating so a vaccine can still leave a dog vulnerable. I speak as someone who last year had the flu vaccine in October and flu in November. :rant:

Thanks for replies, yer she's a beauty. Not had anything to eat all day but drunk half of bowl herself. Every hour or so i'm giving her a syringe of water aswell. She seems a bit perkier.

Can't believe whats happened. Yesterday no better not eaten all day and only bits of water. Took her to emergency vets in Barnsley. Soon as he examined her he ruled out kennel cough. Took her bloods, waited 30 minutes for results. Renal failure she's had to have a blood transfusion. Stayed in over night Vet phoned this morning everything gone ok and hopefully we can pick her up at teatime. Looks like the Metacam which the other vets at Rotherham gave her has caused it. I shall be going to see them in Rotherham once Lola is on the Mend. Regards Neil.

That's awful. Hope she is ok.

Oh poor thing...really hope she's on the mend. Metacam is a strange one- I've had dogs take it for arthritis without problems so it sounds like just a really unlucky effect. If it looks like she's getting over it I'd hold that thought. But you'll know in future she can't tolerate it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back