The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kennels

kdean

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm thinking about buying some kennels in the future and l was wondering if anyone one could recommend either a type of kennel or a manufacturer. Besides being warm and comfortable for the whippets my number one concern is whether they are strong enough to deter anyone from trying to steal my dogs!!!

Love all the banter that happens on this site :D

I would recomend getting a house extension instead :D

If you Whips live in your house at present they would probally not want to move into a kennel.

Mark Roberts said:
if they want to steal a dog they will do anything.
I really hate that saying because of how true it is :( Worries me to death walking along country lanes - heart stopping at the sight of a white van :( :( :(

Around 6 years ago we sold a pup to a lad in Oldham, the pup by all accounts was a great worker at aound 15 months old he rang me to ask me to keep my eyes open for the pup as his house had been broken into his dog was the only thing stolen from inside a dog cage in his kitchen?.

Hi Karen,

I'd suggest going to the country fairs/dogs shows as there are usually some good ones there. But like Mark says if somebody wants the dog they'll do anything.

Regards,

Scott. :b

Thanks everybody for underlining what l already accepted as a risk, but as l now spend more time out of the house l was worried about my dogs being shut in for longer. Guess they will have to exert stronger bladder control until l can get another dog sitter to come and let them out for me during the day!! :b

hi karen. dont forget preventing your dogs from going as the need arises will have an adverse effect on performance running dogs.uric acid will build up mainly in the kidneys and possibly affect the liver!now is a good time to wean them to being outside but security is always going to be a worry.was a time when the travellers etc only nicked large sighthounds and hard looking terriers now any breed is grist to the mill!whippets were slagged as being ok for a thirty yard dash to the hedge but had no stamina.now the same fools who heroicly dragged round a 27""donkey on a piece of string are more than to steal your finely tuned turbo chrged 18" flying machine!kenneling one of the german guard breeds and hiding the whips away as best as works for me(so far).i used to have a plain concrete base for the outer run but screeding it with a float machine (hired)creates a marble like surface that can be kept immaculate.theres also a new run system out that is leapfrogged about on the lawn(ok if you have a vast garden but what about parasitic build up?)in the sleeping quarters i raise their beds at least 10" above G.L.which allows a heater pad underneath in hard weather.best of luck.

Thanks for the advice jefferson.

Completely agree about the need for dogs to urinate as they need, predominant reason for me thinking about using kennels during the day when l'm not around to let them out. I have no intention of leaving them out all the time only during the day. Have also considered the use of another dog as a guard, have had doberman's in the past as really good guards, but as everyone is at pains to point out if they are keen enough to get the whippets they will do anything.

Guess l will have to ponder a bit more. Will have to ask around the village to see if someone wants to earn a few quid by letting dogs out!!

All the best

Karen :thumbsup:

Hi Karen, you must have a nice pensioner local who you could trust to let them in & out a few times during the day?.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back