The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Keyhole or standard spaying?

Discussion in 'Dog Health' started by Gizmo_, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Gizmo_

Gizmo_ New Member Registered

Hi,

Any thoughts on what type of spaying is better?

Obviously been chatting to our vet, who recommended keyhole but also offered standard surgery.

My main concern is when keeping the womb in, there’s still a risk of womb infection, cancer etc.

Did anyone go for keyhole and would upon reflection go for full spay (and vice versa)?

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Tinytom

Tinytom Well-Known Member Registered

My girls have always had full spay ...
    My friend opted for keyhole..her girl ended up with an infection had to be opened up and have a full spay anyway ....keyhole was twice the cost of a normal spay too ...

Gizmo_ likes this.
  3. Ash2021

Ash2021 Member Registered

Mine have always had a full spay

No experience of key hole sorry

4. Suzette

Suzette Member Registered

Laparoscopic spay (keyhole) is much less invasive and the recovery time is shorter (about five days compared to 10-14 for traditional spay). It prevents pyometra (infection of the uterus) just as completely as a traditional spay. The real downside for some is the cost. It is a bit pricey. While any surgery can have complications, I have known two friends and a family member who have opted for Laparoscopic spay in the last year or so and all three dogs did and continue to do well. No issues, no complications. All said they will go this route with future dogs as well. So in the end, it just comes down to personal preference and if you think it's worth the extra cost.