The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Labrador help with crate!

Sarah84

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 4 month old Labrador who was chewing our kitchen units so upon advice I decided to crate her. She has never been great when we are out the house or asleep at not messing however now she is in the crate has decided to poo in her bed? The cage is big enough and was advised she would never do this? I am at a complete loss at what to do for the best?

hello, this may be because you used a crate as punishment and because the crate is an unknown place this caused her to eliminate when scared. This could become habitual if you don't catch it now. Using a crate should be for their safe place, like their bedroom, somewhere they can go and feel secure.

Best thing to do is get an animal deodoriser, make sure everything is completely clean, and re train her to use the crate as a nice place to go, there are lots of tips online about playing games with her in there, leaving the door open, feeding her in there and putting her in there whilst leaving the room and then coming back in... stuff like that.

For chewing the kitchen units, when did this start? how much exercise does she get and also could she be doing it to satisfy the need to chew on something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back