The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Landseer ECT

Dumbo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I'm trying to help a friend who went with me to crufts and fell in love with Newfoundlands and has met up with more of them since then but she can't get past the drool which is such a shame. She was then told about the landseer ECT by one of the owners who told her they are a separate breed and his was imported from Germany. She has tried asking other owners and the Newfoundland breed club but none seem to know what she's talking about she just gets told that landseer is just a color of Newfoundland even though she's found websites also stating there a separate breed. I wouldn't know were to advise her to start as she can't seem to find anyone who can point her in the right direction to learn more about them or to find out if it possible to even get a puppy.

Does anyone know anything about them or who she can talk to?

Has she been told that the Landseers don't drool?

A bit of research shows that the picture is confused. According to Wikipedia, 'The Landseer is a dog that originated in Canada. It is a black-and-white variety of the Newfoundland that is recognised as an independent breed in continental Europe.' Another website states:

NOTE: LANDSEER ECT is not the same breed of dog as the black and white 'Landseer' Newfoundland

Newfoundland - Landseer History

Newfoundland, Landseer or both? Actually, there are 3 versions: The American Newfoundland Landseer, the European Newfoundland Landseer and the European Landseer ECT.

The USA (AKC) recognizes both European and American Newfoundland Landseers but does not recognize the 3rd version, the Landseer ECT, as a version of the Newfoundland or even as a breed.
(Landseer ECT)

There is a Facebook page for ECT Landseer breeders which could be helpful for your friend: Log in to Facebook

As for whether they drool... apparently they can drool a little less than Newfoundlands. But note 'a little' - if she really doesn't like drool (and I'm the same), then she should be looking at other breeds.

Hi

I'm trying to help a friend who went with me to crufts and fell in love with Newfoundlands and has met up with more of them since then but she can't get past the drool which is such a shame. She was then told about the landseer ECT by one of the owners who told her they are a separate breed and his was imported from Germany. She has tried asking other owners and the Newfoundland breed club but none seem to know what she's talking about she just gets told that landseer is just a color of Newfoundland even though she's found websites also stating there a separate breed. I wouldn't know were to advise her to start as she can't seem to find anyone who can point her in the right direction to learn more about them or to find out if it possible to even get a puppy.

Does anyone know anything about them or who she can talk to?
They are a separate breed in the United States. In the UK, they are just a different colour of the Newfoundland breed. I had three Newfies, two boys who drooled and girl who didn't. But you won't know until they are about six months old whether they are going to be droolers. Personally, I am not a lover of drool from any other dog, but with my Newfies I never really minded it. It is part of the breed and not much to be done about it, just be sure she goes to a good breeder with preferably champions in the line. That will secure a pup without temperament problems and likely no health problems. But be aware, not every condition can be screened for. One of mine had early onset arthritis and I lost him when he was only three.

Be aware, the Landseer is really just a black and white Newfie and it will still drool just as much as the black or brown ones. In the States, they also have grey ones; they all drool.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back