The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lead and harness problems

Jack chi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have a 18weeks cocker spaniel who loves to go out for his walks. Unfortunately we have two problems. We got him used to walking on his lead indoors which was ok, but as soon we go outside is he is so eager he constantly pulls trying hard to eat everything around him. If we put a collar on him he pulls so much he nearly chokes himself, we are concerned he will damage his neck. We tried a harness but he still pulled even more, after his walk (20mins) we noticed where the harness had been his red fur was lighter as though it had rubbed the top layer off.
Has anyone else had the experience of a harness damaging the fur and if so does it grow back, do all harness’s do the same?
Any advice on best way to get him to to walk without pulling so hard. We have tried the methods on you tube, using treats and changing directions but all he does is lie down.

Hi JudyN, yes I have tried the advice on the videos. If I go into the garden with him on his lead he just wants to play. I have stopped when he pulls, he stops then lies down and waits for me to move. Change direction and he thinks it’s a game and jumps up biting his lead. I have enrolled him in a puppy training class so hopefully that may help.
The main issue is whilst he is pulling the harness appears to be rubbing his fur away. Where the harness has been his fur is a lighter colour. We don’t know if it will grow back to its normal colour. We don’t want to use a harness that is causing a long term problem with his coat. So asking if anyone else has had the same experience.

Hi JudyN, yes I have tried the advice on the videos. If I go into the garden with him on his lead he just wants to play. I have stopped when he pulls, he stops then lies down and waits for me to move. Change direction and he thinks it’s a game and jumps up biting his lead. I have enrolled him in a puppy training class so hopefully that may help.
The main issue is whilst he is pulling the harness appears to be rubbing his fur away. Where the harness has been his fur is a lighter colour. We don’t know if it will grow back to its normal colour. We don’t want to use a harness that is causing a long term problem with his coat. So asking if anyone else has had the same experience.

18 weeks old is still very young dog and he will get there. Don't expect those walking on lead skills to happen in a hurry and that age he is not supposed to go very far yet anyway. Rather than trying to teach him to 'walk' on lead...what if you don't and concentrate more of just being on lead and letting him to do more of sniffing and exploring. Then you can be more of 'in lead' and point out things outside and ask him to come and see what it is....he is effectively then following your lead. As you get his curiosity going and following what your are showing to him to investigate...you can then go from one 'curiosity' to other and over time it could lead into 'nice walking'. Don't forget to sound excited and give lavish praise for doing what you have asked him to do. Lead biting is something pups do...they learn through their mouths...so you will need to learn to distract him with something that is more interesting than chewing the lead. Telling him off not to do something will just have opposite effect as it is sure way to get your reaction and interest.
Some dogs do seem to 'forget' already learned skills as and those lessons need to be revisited as they develop to the adulthood.
One of our girls have been really tough cookie to teach for some nice walking habits. She is now 1 year old and FINALLY my efforts are starting to yield results. This particular one didn't lie down but would park her bum down as soon as I would stop walking and she would just sit and wait until I would make a move again...otherwise she would pull like mad. We too resulted using harness as there would be a good chance she could injure herself....and yes...some hairs do rub on the chest part of the harness. But that is not permanent damage at all as dogs coat does renew itself throughout the dog's life.
But getting back to the walking issue....what was the game changer with her...rather than stopping (which would cause instant sitting down action), I kept walking, but brought the pace into VERY slow pace, kept her lead shortish and corrected her position at times by holding her back whilst getting little bit ahead of her. At first I would even result taking side step on front of her so she would be forced to be little bit behind me (on a heel). I keep 'nice walking' when we are walking on roads/pavements and when on field etc...she can then let her wild side out and even pull. She is now begun to understand that certain areas she will have to hold back her eagerness to go forward. And that is the main lesson at this stage of her young life...able to control those urges. Small steps at the time and eventually they will turn into longer lengths.

Last edited:
18 weeks old is still very young dog and he will get there. Don't expect those walking on lead skills to happen in a hurry and that age he is not supposed to go very far yet anyway. Rather than trying to teach him to 'walk' on lead...what if you don't and concentrate more of just being on lead and letting him to do more of sniffing and exploring. Then you can be more of 'in lead' and point out things outside and ask him to come and see what it is....he is effectively then following your lead. As you get his curiosity going and following what your are showing to him to investigate...you can then go from one 'curiosity' to other and over time it could lead into 'nice walking'. Don't forget to sound excited and give lavish praise for doing what you have asked him to do. Lead biting is something pups do...they learn through their mouths...so you will need to learn to distract him with something that is more interesting than chewing the lead. Telling him off not to do something will just have opposite effect as it is sure way to get your reaction and interest.
Some dogs do seem to 'forget' already learned skills as and those lessons need to be revisited as they develop to the adulthood.
One of our girls have been really tough cookie to teach for some nice walking habits. She is now 1 year old and FINALLY my efforts are starting to yield results. This particular one didn't lie down but would park her bum down as soon as I would stop walking and she would just sit and wait until I would make a move again...otherwise she would pull like mad. We too resulted using harness as there would be a good chance she could injure herself....and yes...some hairs do rub on the chest part of the harness. But that is not permanent damage at all as dogs coat does renew itself throughout the dog's life.
But getting back to the walking issue....what was the game changer with her...rather than stopping (which would cause instant sitting down action), I kept walking, but brought the pace into VERY slow pace, kept her lead shortish and corrected her position at times by holding her back whilst getting little bit ahead of her. At first I would even result taking side step on front of her so she would be forced to be little bit behind me (on a heel). I keep 'nice walking' when we are walking on roads/pavements and when on field etc...she can then let her wild side out and even pull. She is now begun to understand that certain areas she will have to hold back her eagerness to go forward. And that is the main lesson at this stage of her young life...able to control those urges. Small steps at the time and eventually they will turn into longer lengths.
Thanks Flinsky I will give that a try.

There is another method you could try but as a disclaimer, I haven't used this, only read about it. You start training a ”walk to heel” without a lead.

First, get a pocketful of treats ready (make sure the treats are out of sight) and simply walk around. If your dog follows you closely say your marker word like "yes" or a click if you are clicker training, and then toss a treat on the floor.

As the dog is looking for the treat walk away from him. If he’s keen he will rush to catch up with you, mark and reward again when he gets to your side.

Once he gets that game, when he returns to you wait a second and see if he will walk with you for a step or two. If he does, mark and reward. Keep gradually building up the time he has to stay by your side before you reward.

As he begins to stay near you more and more you may want to think about feeding him treats at your side. This helps cement the idea that "this is the spot you should be".

Once he is staying at your side reliably you can introduce the lead and start over. Some dogs will not notice the lead addition and you can continue the training. Some dogs may need to back up a few steps since you have added new criteria (the lead), he may not understand that you want the same behavior as before.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back