The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lead training a pup!

CD89

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone! 

Trying to train my pup to walk nicely on a lead and I am nearing the end of my tether (no pun intended!) I have a 5 month old cocker spaniel, and I have heard that cockers can be difficult to lead train so I am trying to be as patient as possible but after a particularly frustrating walk with absolutely zero progress and my arm in danger of getting ripped out of its socket, I'm looking for some advice. 

So, he will usually walk nicely for the first 2 minutes or so of the walk, and I make sure to reward and praise him the whole time. Then suddenly he just decides he's had enough, we're walking too slow and he'll try and take off! And if I was to let him, he would spend the entire walk straining at the end of the lead, panting away and dragging me in his wake. I have read up a lot on how to train puppies to heel and have had advice from trainers (though we're not attending puppy classes ourselves). I have a little pouch of treats to entice him to walk next to me, but after the first couple of minutes he just starts jumping at me if I try to tempt him with treats and then goes back to running. Whenever he pulls I will stop, or turn and walk the other way. When I stop, he will stop as well, and usually sit down, but as soon as I start walking again he takes off like a horse leaving the start box! At times he has launched himself so hard that he's actually bounced back at the end of the lead and spun! And he doesn't seem to understand what I want from him, so he starts to get antsy and frustrated. If I turn the other way, he will usually walk nicely next to me for a little while and be rewarded for it (before spotting the next thing to launch himself at!) but as soon as I turn back the way we were going he will be straining again. I've tried walking backwards so he's coming towards me and the treats, but again this only lasts until his attention is drawn elsewhere. I also make sure to try different routes and walks to places he's never been before and this doesn't make a difference in his behaviour at all, so I know he's not just pulling in anticipation of getting somewhere.

I've been seriously trying to sort out his walking for around 2 and a half weeks now, which I know isn't all that long in terms of dog training, but I would have expected to see at least a little bit of progress by now. It is worrying because occasionally he will launch himself towards roads, and I'm afraid that one day he might catch me off guard and manage to yank the lead out of my hand - not to mention the strain it is going to put on my arms and shoulders when he is big and strong! It is extremely frustrating because he is such a quick learner usually, so it's making me think that I am failing at putting across what desirable behaviour is. I also live in a small village and I'm starting to get really funny looks from the locals when I've been standing in the same spot for 15 minutes, or walking back and forth along the same street haha! 

He is great off the lead, and we are lucky that we live somewhere with lots of places he can explore freely. His recall is fantastic (most of the time) and we just have lovely walks that way, and it makes life a whole lot easier for me! The temptation is to do that all the time and just be resigned to the fact that he's going to pull, but I always hate seeing dogs strangling themselves and choking, and I don't want to be one of those dog walkers! But I'm worried that I'm testing our bond by persevering with training that he doesn't seem to understand...

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing or are there other tricks I could be trying? Thank you!

I have had cockers for 50 years, and the working type since 1985.

Most walk nicely on the lead with training, and easily at heel off the lead! (can't do this in built up areas or pavements though).

Some are real buggers at pulling though. I have found over the years that a "Halti" helps tremendously if used correctly.

Fitted loosely and not tight so that it cuts beneath the eyes (it must be comfortable to wear), at the same time connected to the collar for extra back up.  

The wee darlings, soon learn to walk loosely. There are some who may have to use a Halti for life though.

Harnesses are useless, unless you have a dog that does not want to pull or walk in front.   Most dogs that I see in a harness always walks in front and not at heel!

After that, animals that are requested to pull , such as dogs/ huskeys, horses & donkeys, cattle, all wear a harness to aid pulling.

We had a chap a few years ago who with just a lead and collar, put his nose to the ground and pulled like a steam train, I used a halti on him and he was perfect, he would never walk on a lead and collar without putting pressure on the lead. He remained for the rest of his life using the loose halti, he was very happy to have it put on for walks. and was an absolute pleasure to lead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CD89.  You have my full sympathy.  I had exactly the same problem with my Cockapoo, Evie.  I persevered for 13 months, following advice and trying a variety of methods - nothing worked.   At 13 months I gave up and brought a Halti.  Wonderful.  Worked like magic immediately.  Walks on lead are now a pleasure for both of us and my only regret is that I didn't try it earlier.  As excuseme has said some do stop needing the Halti and I continue to treat Evie when she's walking nicely and hoping that one day she'll no longer need to wear it.  There are different types of 'Halti' type head collars and I know Gypsysmum has other preferences.  Good luck.  

The trouble is that dogs do what they find rewarding. If, by pulling on the lead, the dog gets to that lovely sniff or to meet that other dog/person etc they will think that is what you do.

Heel work is very intensive. Most adult dogs struggle to concentrate for long periods of heel work. I would fit a headcollar as suggested above. There are several brands so do some research on here as my brain is not functioning to remember all the names. You then can enjoy your walks. Introduce it slowly by putting it on the floor with treats in it. Lift it up and feed treats through the nose. Put it on, reward, and take it off etc.

Do join some APDT training classes for the long term. Heel work can be taught but some dogs just find it so boring! We, as handlers, have to concentrate really hard too. Train in the garden and at short periods on walks where there are few distractions. For the rest of the time try the headcollar. Just remembered my favourite "Dogmatic" it is a little heavier than most though, as it is padded. There is also Gencon.

Thank you so much for your replies and sorry for the late response! Just wanted to say that I recently got hold of a harness and the difference in his walking has been incredible. He still attempts to pull every so often but stops very quickly and trots by my side instead. My arms are no longer being pulled all over the place - he feels like a difference dog! Still the odd attempt like I say so I think I still might try the Halti as well. Thanks for your suggestions :)  

Thank you for your update, I'm sure we will all look forward to the next one. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back