The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lead training

1jannie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have just got a 7 month old dog and he's been used to walking with a extendable lead. We want to use a proper lead so eventually can walk to heel ok on the lead.
I feel that he crosses over in front of you. Has anyone any ideas on the best training?

Personally I'd go straight to a normal lead. I really don't like these extendable leads, fingers and buttons can fail at crucial moments, and because they work by extending when the dog puts pressure to move forward, they aren't conducive to training loose lead walking.

There are various ways to teach a nice, close walk. Always start in a low detraction, boring place to give you and your dog the best chance of success.

One of the most popular is that if the dog pulls, or crosses you, just stop. If you have him on a normal lead, he shouldn't be able to cross in front. Only move forward when he relaxes the pressure on the lead. This does mean that you won't get far, you will be stopping and starting a lot. So it's best for your own sanity to think of it as training, not walking, and then you have no expectations of going somewhere and feeling disheartened when you don't get there.

Another option, which I admit I haven't tried but definitely will if I get another dog, is training without using a lead at first. Obviously only do this in a safe, enclosed space (even in your house). Start by training your dog with a clicker or similar - Training with a clicker

Once he understands the clicker, lure him into a position next to your leg. Click and reward. Keep doing that until he learns that staying next to your knee is a very rewarding place to be. When he understands, name the position so you don't need to lure him into place - a word like 'close' or 'heel' would work well. Then, when he is coming to place reliably, move one step forward. If he stays next to your knee, click and reward again. Then two steps, then when he's got that, three. And so on. THEN you can put the lead on.

I've used extendable leads for 40 years on various dogs. My dogs were all perfectly well able to walk to heal although I don't see the point in taking a dog for a walk if it's just going to be walking at heel. my dogs are both hunting breeds and the extendable lead gives them the chance to sniff and snuffle and explore their surroundings without the risk of them running off on the hunt.
I always use the top brand and I've never had one fail however I've met a lot of idiots at the wrong end of the lead.

To be clear, it's MY fingers and buttons that don't connect!

@JoanneF. Lol I didnt mean you...

I mean those people who think the only way to use an extendable lead is fully extended even when they're in a busy shopping street or along the main road complete idiots.. I once had somebody open their front door just as I was passing on my motor scooter the dog was on the extendable lead , it came shooting out into the road , I managed to avoid the dog nearly killed myself in the process.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back