The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Leash training

A bit more info would help please.

How old are they, are they walked together, what have you tried so far and how long have you been working on it? What happens if they are walked separately, how much walking do they get, is it all the time or are some times better or worse?

Sorry for all the questions but to help, we really need to understand the problem better.

1 rescue alsation cross collie who had been badly abused has come a long way but still has trust issues. She is approximately 3 to 4 been with us 1 1/2 years.
The other red fox lab was rehomed is 2 1/2. Got them at the same time
Walking separately lab pulls, alsation perfect. I walk 1 and husband walks the other. Unless we take them to woods together when they go crazy but always come back. Separately in the woods again no problem. Usually walked 3 to 5 miles a day. We try again at least once a week to walk them together on leads.
Did think we would wait for warmer weather and start at the gate and go back if pulled and just spend a good while trying and if keep pulling just turn back.
Thanks for your interest.

I dint think there is any need to go home. There are several things you can try, see what works best.

One of the simplest is that as soon as there is tension on the lead, stop. When the dog relaxes back, move forward. This method will take a lot if stop-starting, but you have to be 100% consistent - every tension, every person, every time. So your first walks won't be ”walks”. You won't get anywhere. But the more consistent you are, the sooner the penny will drop.

Second, you can use a similar technique but make it even clearer with a clicker. First read this page to learn how to use the clicker - Training with a clicker

Then, applying it to walks, as soon as the dog is in exactly the right position (say, shoulder by your knee), mark that position and reward.

Third, dogs have an instinct to pull (as do all restrained creatures, it is called oppositional reflex if you like to read the science behind these things). So teaching them to relax to.lead pressure helps. This video explains it well.

Thank you I have tried the stop method and whenever she gets a treat saying good dog off she goes I don't think I have always been 100% consistent I will try harder. I'll watch the video as soon as I can.

You are right on the button about consistency. There is a reason people get hooked on gambling - the idea of sometimes something might work and sometimes it mightn't releases dopamine in the brain - the "reward" feeling. So each and every time the lead gets taut/your dog moves in front of you STOP. Don't say anything, no need to make eye contact. Just stop. Once the lead is loose (can take a while) move on, but if dog surges forward again, stop. I don't give food rewards for lead training, as being allowed to go forward is a big reward - but if you are happier giving a treat, there's nothing wrong with it. But if after the treat your dog surges forward, you are giving mixed messages and making it worth the dog's while to pull. If you are utterly consistent, stopping every time your dog makes the lead taut works a treat.

Thank you. Will do as you say no treats just stop. No excuse now nothing else to do. !!!

Something I did when my lad was a pup was to walk him on a harness for fun, relaxed walks where I wanted him to be able to wander and sniff and actually wanted to get somewhere, and a lead for 'training walks' where we did the stop/start thing.

Another tip I picked up was to do the stop/start training with your eyes shut when it was safe to do so - it was much easier to sense and react quickly to any tension on the lead.

Hi Just to let you know that I am trying the stop method average steps is 8
before she pulls, she now instantly comes to my side but still waiting for the lightbulb moment.
Thanks again for all you help.

That's a good start, Irene:) For a long time my lad thought that taking just one step back would give him licence to charge forward again, but we got there in the end.

Great start - soon you will have loose lead walking.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back