The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Leaving puppy home

Geraint

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Have had my 9 week old puppy for 2 days now, me and my wife are after some advice on leaving our puppy at home whilst at work, I work 15 hours a day 3 - 4 times a week and my wife works 4 hours a day 4 times a week and one day working 7 hours, we are currently leaving him in an open crate in the hall way which he has access to a little food and some water and lots of his toys, also he had the radio on, he seems to be ok with the routine but we was hoping maybe we could be doing something else ?

So he is alone 4 hours four times a week plus 7 hours once a week? The 4 hours is long for a puppy, they need taken out hourly until toilet trained. 4 hours might be ok for an adult. Can you get someone to come in, to let him out to toilet at least?

We have a 10 week old puppy and have had her for 3 weeks, so we are just a week ahead of you! I think 4 hours to leave your puppy alone is quite a long time. I also work 4 hours a day (8-12) and I try and get home about 10ish to let her out, play for a bit and then she goes back until I am home about 12:15. This is only 3 days a week too, as I have someone here the other days. Is it possible you could ask someone to go and let her out after a couple of hours? Leaving the radio on sounds good and thats what we did too. How is your puppy getting on toileting in those 4 hrs she is alone? Does he hold? We leave lots of toys in her crate and a kong with peanut butter in. I leave it the freezer overnight and give it to her just before I leave. I think that keeps her busy for a while!

kong with peanut butter in

Just a word of caution on peanut butter, *some* contain the artificial sweetener Xylitol which is toxic to dogs so please check the ingredient list. Peanut butter without Xylitol is great though.

Just a word of caution on peanut butter, *some* contain the artificial sweetener Xylitol which is toxic to dogs so please check the ingredient list. Peanut butter without Xylitol is great though.
Ok thanks for that! I didn't know that at all. I have read so many articles about giving them a kong & peanut butter! I will check the ingredients! Thanks!

Personally I think 7 hours is too long to leave any dog, especially a puppy. When we both worked I paid a neighbour to come in, walk and play with puppy and make sure he was well. I'd really consider getting someone responsible or recommended to do this.

I agree with the comments, it is long for a puppy to be left alone without anyone coming in to check on them.
I am a dog sitter/walker and I have looked after a puppy (cockapoo - Millie) since 9 weeks old :) Like you the owner has a full time job. At the beginning I was coming in twice a day. As I recall I would let her out in the garden in the morning for toilet and play with her (before she was able to go walking). Stay for 3/4 of an hour. Then in the afternoon I would come back, give her lunch (when she had 3 meals a day), another play in the garden. I loved it. She's over 1 year old now and she still gets so excited when I come through the door to go on our walks :)
I'm sure there are some excellent dog sitters near where you live that would be thrilled to care for a puppy while your out and I am sure she would love it too. Definitely look into getting help.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back