Leaving two dogs alone together

Josie

Administrator
Administrator
Registered
Wagso - Clevedon Dog Walking Services
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Dennis has his friend Juno coming to stay for two weeks in July.
They get on great but I have never had to go out and leave them home alone together.
This time around there will obviously be times when I have to.

My idea is that they will both have free rein to go anywhere (except our bedroom as I know they’ll both be on the bed!) rather than separating them into different rooms.

I was then going to leave them for 15 minutes or long enough for them to settle and spy on them through the window!

I don’t have a camera but if so can get one I will.

Does everyone think that sounds right?

P.s was going to leave them slightly longer each time I go

I used to leave mine alone . In the beginning I did as you plan to leaving them for just a few minues then returning. One thing I made sure of no food was left out , no treats just in case that became a focus for fighting.

A good camera is cleverdog you can view via your phone and talk to them via the mic although this makes Murphy howl! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clever-Dog...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YZ0JECGJF701423AZR04

A camera is a good idea (we use this one but it's frequently a lot cheaper than the price shown now) which also always you to talk/listen, has pan and scan, and night vision too! You can record to the cam on SD card, or direct to your phone/PC/laptop. The app isn't too bad either.

Thank you both - I think I will go ahead an order a camera so I can see exactly what they get unto when I'm not there! I've never done it before so it will be very intestine to see.

I hope Dennis doesn't do anything super naughty whilst we're out that I have never found out about....

I'd suggest a gate, with each dog in his own 'zone', to prevent direct contact but not visually separate them - they can see one another, but can't get into a play-chase game across the furnishings, start an all-in wrestling match, or God forbid, argue over who gets the prime seat on the settee. :eek:
2 playful dogs can wreak unintended havoc by knocking breakable things over or playing tug-of-war with throw pillows & small rugs - separate spaces means less risk of damage to possessions AND dogs. :)

- terry

Even though Juno is his mate, if he's never stayed with Dennis at yours before , it may be good to have him over, before his hols, for a 'sleepover', include a time that you will be feeding the dogs too, you can then get a pretty good idea of what they will be like together and be more prepared for the big stay. Most of my new boarders I do this with just incase there are any problems with them settling with Jake or vice versa... or incase it throws up any other issues, which happens! ;)

Thank you for your suggestions - She has stayed the night before and we've done feeding time so I am confident with that. They are really sweet together :)

This is when they decided to stay in their own beds....

IMG_5411.JPG

and this is when Dennis decided he preferred Juno's....
A9E75AB5-AE01-455A-B77C-395376FF0051.jpeg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I think they will be fine! I'm just panicking!

well, it's better to think about all of the what-ifs & have nothing happen, rather than go blithely forward & have it quickly go pear-shaped & slide toward disaster.

I've heard "they'll be fine, quit worrying...", & then they're Not fine, all too often. // As an aside, "they'll be fine ..." IMpersonalE usually comes from the male half of a couple, BTW. :rolleyes: :p
I've also heard "I just don't know - what if?...", & taking precautions never hurts.

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back