The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Leg Injury Advice Please..

Pamw

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Bandit our five year old whippet has been hopping on three legs for about three weeks...we thought at first it was a thorn but a fornight ago we took him to the vets who said he had a cruciatious ligament injury and gave him anti biotics..she said if he was a heavier dog such as alstatian they would have operated,,,,

he is on complete rest if that is possible with a whippet and his leg is showing a bit of improvement ..he is on anti inflamitories...which help...

but has anyone had this type of problem..did they let nature heal itself or did they have an operation...

any advice would be helpful...

hi my 8 year old bitch did the same thing about 3 years ago the vet said it was almost snapped and that maybe i should have her op on i asked the same questions as u and was told to rest her and maybe it would mend but that she would never run again i put her on complete rest for 2 weeks and then lead walking only for many months after as i had no intention of racing her again i just gave her time to rest and get better on her own it took a long time but now she runs well on her own steam and manages to jump the baby gate i have to stop them getting into kitchen no problem at all lol sometimes she over does her run if she is out with the others and comes back a bit lame that night but is fine again after rest i decided against the op because of age anathetic and the lenght of time trying to keep her off it after i think i made the right decision she is a very light weight bitch and weight 11 and half kg hope this is of some help :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back