The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Let down by dog walker

JoanneF

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I don't think I have ever been so angry. Well, maybe once or twice, but ...

We had to go out today for 6½ hours. I know a lot of dogs get left for that length of time, but Timber doesn't. So, we arranged a dog walker to go in halfway through to let him out for a comfort break and make sure he was okay. I double checked during the week that she was still available and coming in.

We just got home and she hasn't been. If she had been unexpectedly caught up in something and messaged me, I could have asked any of several friends to go in (we have a key safe outside with a combination lock; all I would have needed to do is tell them the number).

There is only one excuse I will accept for him being let down by this, and if that's the case she won't be caring anyway.

Hi Joanne
I am sorry to hear this. It may have been a genuine mistake but I understand your anger. I hope he was alright. I would have been livid and never used that person again.
I find it incredibly hard to leave my dog with anyone else.

She'd better have a good excuse....:mad: Have you tried to contact her?

How was Timber?

I find it incredibly hard to leave my dog with anyone else.
I do too. This is a local dog walker, she is a good friend of one of my neighbours so she felt like a safe choice. I leave T so seldom for more than the time it takes to do a trip to the supermarket, that I feel guilty. He is fine of course :rolleyes:

She'd better have a good excuse....:mad: Have you tried to contact her?

How was Timber?
Timber is fine. Absolutely fine.

I haven't tried to contact her - it's never a good idea to do that when you feel as angry as I do. I'm trying to be charitable and think it was something unavoidable that rendered her unable to text me. I'm not doing very well at that though.

I'm very sorry to hear that, and everyone here will understand why you feel so upset on Timber's behalf.

As the dog walker hasn't been in touch, maybe she got the date wrong? Not good of course, but it might explain the complete absence of any explanation.

maybe she got the date wrong?

You would think so. But I double checked with her to remind her during the week. At the end of the day, T is fine. It's my guilt I'm dealing with .

You would think so. But I double checked with her to remind her during the week. At the end of the day, T is fine. It's my guilt I'm dealing with .
Oh dear! I know what you mean, but luckily our dogs continue to love us even if things don't go right sometimes. They also have very short memories!

How infuriating!!!! But don't direct your anger towards yourself. You did your very best and she let you down. I also agree with not contacting her at all.

I had the same with my horse once (just to give you a feel that this isn't only you). I had to go on a business trip to America. I was away four days. I'd paid the girl in advance (mistake). Thank goodness my poor horse had an automatic waterer in his stable. She hadn't been near him. He'd eaten all his bed (something he didn't normally do). I called in on the way back from the airport to find the state he was in and strongly suspect she'd intended to do "something" based on my estimated return. I couldn't do anything about her as it could well have gone worse for my horse if I had.

So - REALLY Not Your Fault. Very glad your dog is fine. How to make you feel better is another matter. Hugs and empathy.

Your poor horse, that's far worse - whatever was she thinking?

I've just had a text from her - so sorry, she forgot, only realised now when she looked at her phone. She hopes he was all right and can't apologise more.

I'm torn between not replying at all; and sending a message to say no, he wasn't all right, he was alone for 6½ hours - actually it was nearer 7.

Sometimes, silence speaks louder than words... And it might prevent more messages along the lines of 'I'd had a busy day, and my child's hamster died, and....'

I was thinking the same - ignoring her message will probably make her feel more remorseful than responding to it.

How infuriating!!!! But don't direct your anger towards yourself. You did your very best and she let you down. I also agree with not contacting her at all.

I had the same with my horse once (just to give you a feel that this isn't only you). I had to go on a business trip to America. I was away four days. I'd paid the girl in advance (mistake). Thank goodness my poor horse had an automatic waterer in his stable. She hadn't been near him. He'd eaten all his bed (something he didn't normally do). I called in on the way back from the airport to find the state he was in and strongly suspect she'd intended to do "something" based on my estimated return. I couldn't do anything about her as it could well have gone worse for my horse if I had.

So - REALLY Not Your Fault. Very glad your dog is fine. How to make you feel better is another matter. Hugs and empathy.
Crikey - that's terrible! The thought of horse having to eat his bed is horrifying. Four days in a stable! It could have caused any number of problems. Dreadful.

I've just had a text from her - so sorry, she forgot, only realised now when she looked at her phone. She hopes he was all right and can't apologise more.

I'm torn between not replying at all; and sending a message to say no, he wasn't all right, he was alone for 6½ hours - actually it was nearer 7.
Forgot??? How could someone forget something like that? Unbelievable. Most unprofessional.
I agree that silence speaks volumes. Maybe if you can review the service online, you could put up a warning to other owners. Totally unacceptable.

As someone with a rubbish memory, I've been trying to put myself in her shoes. If it was me, I wouldn't just send a text - I'd turn up in person with wine, flowers, chocolate and a whole range of high-end luxury dog treats, and be on my knees grovelling.

But then I wouldn't have forgotten, because I'd have put it in my Google calendar, which sends me multiple reminders.

It's professional to arrange forgetting to be impossible. If one has a lousy memory, one ringfences reminders. There's a lot of modern communication I find irritating, but in this case, "ghosting" is, to me, a perfectly justifiable response.

Forgetting something like this when it's your job is not on at all... I have a diary where everything is written down, day a page. Even when I know I have the same walks I still check it every morning just in case! Also have a wall planner... and double check messages at end of each day when home, so I can add things to diary.. If I had to rely on my memory I'd be stuffed!:eek:
Glad Timber was ok. With all my clients I have always given them a quick text on pick up and another when I've dropped their dog home, just to say all is well. Maybe request this if ever you need a walker again, then if you don't hear anything you can message them to check.

Maybe request this if ever you need a walker again

Actually, I did, but I just assumed she had forgotten to text me and I didn't want to seem to be pestering her.

As it happens, she came to the door to apologise, but not bearing chocolate or luxury dog treats. Fortunately I was out, and she saw Mr F. He said she was extremely contrite so I'm glad she realised how badly she had let us down. I just won't use her again - it's only about twice a year when we meet friends for a long lunch in Edinburgh, and the odd wedding that might crop up. But I walk around here all the time, so I have gotten to know a lot of other professional dog walkers that I could ask.

How’s your blood pressure? Afraid that “I’m sorry, I forgot” is no excuse irrespective of memory issues. If one agrees to do a job they do it. Just hope that they don’t let down others. Have a good deep red - Tesco’s offering a discount of 25% for 6 bottles plus. The Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon is wonderful.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back