The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Liquid alternative to Noroclav tablets

daveywhippet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi -
My older dog has been prescribed Noroclav tablets.
She won’t take them. The same with other tablets.
I’ve tried all the hotdog, cheese etc etc tricks.

Tablets are a no go. Froth everywhere etc.

Is anyone aware of a liquid alternative?

She’s 29kg.

The vet is calling me back in the morning (it’s 8pm now).

I’ve told her she is bad with tablets - but still came away with some.

I just like to be prepared with knowledge.

Thank you .

From a quick google, Noroclav can be crushed, which might make them easier to hide in food - or possibly dilute in a tasty liquid. I wouldn't try either of these without checking with your vet first.

From a quick google, Noroclav can be crushed, which might make them easier to hide in food - or possibly dilute in a tasty liquid. I wouldn't try either of these without checking with your vet first.
She smells them crushed.
Turns her nose up.

Have you tried them in something really stinky, like the oil from a can of tuna?

Have you tried them in something really stinky, like the oil from a can of tuna?
Everything.
They (tablets) are not an option.

A change of plan though…

The emergency vet phoned and said they could swap them for liquid synulox.

I’ve just returned.

I expressed my disappointment at prescribing tablets for a dog with a horrible cough - after being told said dog is really difficult with tablets. No liquid alternative was offered.

Fingers crossed she's happy to take the synolux and gets better soon :)

Fingers crossed she's happy to take the synolux and gets better soon :)
Thank you. It’s was a bit of a battle this morning. She’s got that and liquid paracetamol as well. As there are 7 and 6ml doses, it’s going to have to be given in smaller quantities.
A bit of a faff on, but hopefully it will work.

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.

Obviously this will not help you at all but your story of giving tablets reminded me of a Mini Daccy we had years ago, she was a real pain to give tabs, to no matter what we tried hiding them in she always took it ate the treat and spit the tab out. Finally one day my wife being exasperated talked to her, showing her the tab and telling her it was for her own good, she then put it in a bit of cheese and the Daccy ate it all. From then on every time we needed to give her tabs we made sure she saw it being prepared for her. It was just like if she knew we were not trying to fool her she ate it.

Obviously this will not help you at all but your story of giving tablets reminded me of a Mini Daccy we had years ago, she was a real pain to give tabs, to no matter what we tried hiding them in she always took it ate the treat and spit the tab out. Finally one day my wife being exasperated talked to her, showing her the tab and telling her it was for her own good, she then put it in a bit of cheese and the Daccy ate it all. From then on every time we needed to give her tabs we made sure she saw it being prepared for her. It was just like if she knew we were not trying to fool her she ate it.
I guess she really loved cheese.
This dog loves all food, but the sight of a tablet box and whiff of a pill will make her turn her nose up at the very best of foods!
Luckily we have a liquid form.

daveywhippet, we had tried cheese before as well as many other treats / food but from then on if she knew we were not trying to fool her she would take any tablet. She was a very bright dog that often used her brain to outwit the two border collies we had at the time. And any dog that can do that has brains to spare.

Lu
daveywhippet, we had tried cheese before as well as many other treats / food but from then on if she knew we were not trying to fool her she would take any tablet. She was a very bright dog that often used her brain to outwit the two border collies we had at the time. And any dog that can do that has brains to spare.
Fingers crossed PetPlan will pay out.
It was £40 or so for 7 days’ tablets.
It’s c.£42 per bottle of liquid meds. She needs one a day,
£450 or so for the week!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back