The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Liver disease - what to do ?@

amandadoglove

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I rescued a dog in July 2016, three years old, small breed and born and lived in the vineyards all her life. When I found her she was dying, and so the charity vet gave her an emergency operation to remove a stone on her bladder, very big apparently. She was sterilized at the same time, so there is not chance of womb infection. She was also diagnosed with Ehrlichia the tick borne disease. Sadly now she has acute liver failure.

The poor little dog (8kg) had antibiotics for the surgery, then for the tick disease, and now she is on them again to kill the ammonia that is in the blood from the malfunctioning liver. This had gone to her brain and she was in a terrible state, swaying and falling over and going round in circles. Horrible to watch.

The vet also gave me 5 mg prednisolone steroid for inflammation, as this is the usual treatment for acute liver problems. She has stopped going in circles and falling over, but she is in a pitiful state just lying in the bed. Now today she has blood in her urine, a lot of blood. So the vet said stop the prednisolone, she only took 5mg over 24 hours so that should be ok to just stop, but to continue with the amoxicillin.

My worry/question is: are all the antibiotics and the post-traumatic stress to contribute to the liver not being able to cope, or was there an underlieing problem from before?

How can you know when you are doing more harm than good? A street dog that was dying from starvation suddenly has meds and dog food and treats and clean water and yet she never really improved.

I am of course feeding her only boiled chicken and rice alternately and some chicken bone broth. I did not think to do this before and maybe I am feeling guilty that I have made her sick, I gave her the operation, the meds, the commercial dog food, the prednisolone. I love her so much, and I want her to be well and have a happy dog life.

Any advice about anything I can do to help her would be most welcome.. thank you everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing all you can for this poor little dog. Most of all you are loving her. How wonderful for her that she has you.

The liver is good at recovering so if it is the only thing causing her problems then she may well improve on the antibiotics.

Of course there may be other things, to do with her previous life, that are going on with her health.

Has she been fully wormed? I presume she was vaccinated? Quite a lot for her body to cope with. Even if she has been wormed it might be worth doing a worm egg count.

You could try a little scrambled egg for the iron that it has in it. There is nothing wrong with a good quality commercial dog food if that makes life easier.. Take a look at Nature's Menu.

Just listen to your vet's advice, report all and any other symptoms that you notice. Most of all keep loving her so that she feels safe.

Thank you for your reply. It is very sweet of you to write such kind words.

I will take your advice and give some eggs instead of chicken some days to change the protein source for her.

I think the same as you that in the end I am doing all I can, giving the antibiotics as the vet said, and keeping her warm and loving her, and taking her out to pee.

I know there are so many complications with her because she was on the street for three years and this means she could have any number of serious problems internally. She did have worming and her vaccinations.

I guess all the rescues are different and this is the first time for me with a dog with such severe problems. When she first came to my house she hid in a suitcase under my bed and would not come out for two weeks. But I love her dearly and whatever happens she will not suffer pain.

My dog had a similar history to yours (without the suitcase bit :( ) He contracted Giardia somewhere along the line. It is a parasite that, usually, causes diarrhoea. It is treated using a different worming regime to the usual one.

Do pester your vet if you think that there is more going on with your dog. They have all sorts of diagnostic tools at their disposal.

Thank you to the people who replied. Sadly little Emily had too many complications as she was malnourished from birth and I was not able to continue with the IV and the antibiotics and steroids because her liver failed and she had become sick in the brain. So she was put to sleep yesterday. She is buried in her little coat and blanket up behind my house in the orchard over looking the sea. Her short time with me, I hope makes up for the years of hardship on the streets. Bless you little love. Always in my heart.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. Bless you for making her final period of life a more comfortable one.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back