The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Looking for a new dog food- any ideas

goldenbear2013

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All!

I am currently using Four Friends Adult dog food for my 3 year old Labrador. Brilliant food! He is really healthy on it and his coat is in the best condition it probably has ever been in. However- my dog does not chew his food, which means having to brush his teeth to keep them healthy- BUT....he hates it!

it's like torture for him! Now whilst he will put up with it he is so sad afterwards! Denta stix are a no go as he snaps them into 3 pieces and swallows them whole which defeats the object! So as you can imagine torturing my dog is not really what i want to do on a daily basis!

I need to find a food that is just as good as what I am feeding him at the moment but is a large kibble. something slight smaller than cherry tomato size so he has to chew it, which will ultimately help clean his teeth at the same time.

He has a scoff bowl which slows him down with his eating but its the lack of chewing that is the issue.

If anyone has any suggestions (tried and tested please) of what dog food they think is worth a try then I will order a small bag first to see if he chews it.

I currently pay £45 for a 12kg bag (he only needs 280g a day on his current dog food due to the high quality of it) so i dont really want to pay over that it i dont have to.

Hope someone can help.

Many Thanks

Sophie

Dentastix aren't much good really. I have always had to clean Timber's teeth too. On the advice of people here we have been feeding raw chicken wings a couple of times a week as a replacement for a meal (but he is only 8 kilos, you could probably feed as a snack) and noticed a big improvement in his teeth.

Raw chicken wings or legs , cows oesophagus , dehydrated tripe sticks help to keep mine chewing and their teeth clean too . \As regards food , have a look at mollies wolf heart . very good quality kibble around the same price and free delivery too . You can order a sample of the food and they also have a very good advice line that is quite often busy but they are very good at ringing back if you leave your number .

There is also a very good website called all about dog food that gives good independent reviews and scores out of 5 . It shows very clear ingredients and whats good and whats not so good about a particular food .

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentle Dog Food is very good. It is cold pressed rather than treated at high temperatures. This, they say, maintains all the vitamins and minerals. My dog has done very well on it.. Not cheap mind you.

I feed Wafcol senior to my elderly dog .. Helps keep her sensitive tummy in order but her teeth have been cleaner since she's been on it. The pieces are quite big. However, 500 years ago a Labrador missed lunch and they have never forgotten.!!

Cheers,

Juliatee

Millies Wolfheart; A fantastic good quality kibble and some raw chicken bones / carcases a couple of times each week

We feed our two raw chicken, tripe etc and the vet has commented how nice their teeth are

Raw chicken wings work a treat! Mine like chewing on ribs too!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back