The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lotions And Potions

dos

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ON CHATTING WITH AN OLD FRIEND OF THE FAMILY, WHO WAS ONCE A GAME KEEPER,HE ADVISED ME TO USE A HOT WATER AND VINEGAR PULTICE ON MY COLLIE WHO HAD OVER SPLAYED HIS FRONT FOOT AND STRAINED HIS LEG JUMPING A DITCH.ON DOING SO AND REPEATING THE PROCEDURE EVERY EVENING FOR A FORTNIGHT HE WAS AS GOOD AS NEW.NOW EITHER THE INJURY WAS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT OR THE MANS A GENIUS,WHAT DO YOU THINK.AND ARE THERE ANY OF YOU THAT CAN DRAW ON YOUR MANY, MANY, MANY :lol: YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND TELL US OF ANY MORE HOME CURES.YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :lol:

:) Sometimes the old cure are the best, if your dogs get sore eye's in summer with grass seeds, don't got to the vets, use golden eye which humans use, it works every time and it's cheaper. :thumbsup: Diane.

Told to me by a lady who had lurchers for many years.

funny this comes up as ive just been doing a small first aid kit for a friend on here

so far we have

hibiscrub

optrex infected eye

surgical spirit

spray plaster

kaolin

aspirin

arnica tabs

iodine spray

thats just so far :thumbsup:

super glue is an old method for small skin wounds too, i havent used it as id be stupid enough to glue my fingers together :b

great thread, would be good if others added what they have in kits :thumbsup:

Honey as a poultice is excellent. :thumbsup: used that one myself.

As is brown bread .... but some cheeky buggers eat it! :b

Vinegar is great for all sorts inc - stings (my old dog liked wasps!!!)

Epsom salts for a poorly tum (tastes nasty but if they have eaten anything they shouldnt have it "clears them out" in no time :D :x ) it attacks toxins also

:thumbsup:

before the days of fly repellent sprays we used to use a mix of vinegar and citronella on the horses

i still do!! :unsure:

and a hint of cold tea? :thumbsup:

gabbitas31 said:
:) Sometimes the old cure are the best, if your dogs get sore eye's in summer with grass seeds, don't got to the vets, use golden eye which humans use, it works every time and it's cheaper. :thumbsup: Diane.Told to me by a lady who had lurchers for many years.

Golden Eye, bought every year here, especially for Jessica whippet who always seems to get a little "gunky" in one eye around early summer. Clears it up in no time :thumbsup: .

Sudacrem, useful for everything, whippet gets sore between the toes, rub in some sudacrem, fill between toes with Cotton Wool and wrap with vetwrap, within 24 hours they're much better :)

ripe banana skin used as poultice old remedy for drawing foriegn bodies and corns

Last edited by a moderator:
bread poultice is the best thing i know for drawing

plain yoghurt is great for upset tums especially in pups if they have the trots give them an egg white whipped up in a cup add a drop of honey to sweeten to make is taste nice

powdered alum for interdigital cysts and for getting bitches tums back in shape after puppies

i know loads more but im off doing the dogs so i can watch the apprentice later! :thumbsup:

babies calpol..can be used as pain relief...also if dogs have waxy ears,use ear drops that people get,much cheaper and just as effective as vetinary drops. kaolin&morphine gd for tummy upsets or milk of magnesia

posh totty said:
super glue is an old method for small skin wounds too, i havent used it as id be stupid enough to glue my fingers together
Question is, If you glue your fingers to the dog's paw.... Do you go to the Dr or to the vet to get prised apart? :lol:

Honey is great at helping to heal sores and wounds.

Apple Cider Vinegar (get it from a health store, not the pasturised stuff in the supermarket) is great for humans and dogs alike. It can be added to water/food, used in water as a wash applied to skin. It has a number of benefits of which include: arthritis, joint pain, kidney and bladder problems. It's good for treating bacterial infections as well as fungal infections. Also puts a lovley shine on the coat when added to the final rinse when bathing; as well as helping remove whiffy smells from the coat. Also said to help prevent ticks and fleas.

(No - I don't sell the stuff! :- " )

Manuka honey for wounds - I use all the time with great results on horses!

ACV - always add to horses feed at night - probably should give it to the whips as well. Have some in a spray bottle for hooves - good to use after you have picked them out.

Copper sulphate paste for proud flesh (in horses) also weak copper sulphate wash for hooves if you have seedy toe probs.

Got told to bath a wound with salt water by a vet once - WOW like that was earth shattering news - my mum always told us to bathe wounds with salt water!

Sorry - most of mine are horse related!

oh yes - and another golden eye ointment fan here :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
dos said:
ON CHATTING WITH AN OLD FRIEND OF THE FAMILY, WHO WAS ONCE A GAME KEEPER,HE ADVISED ME TO USE A HOT WATER AND VINEGAR PULTICE ON MY COLLIE WHO HAD OVER SPLAYED HIS FRONT FOOT AND STRAINED HIS LEG JUMPING A DITCH.ON DOING SO AND REPEATING THE PROCEDURE EVERY EVENING FOR A FORTNIGHT HE WAS AS GOOD AS NEW.NOW EITHER THE INJURY WAS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT OR THE MANS A GENIUS,WHAT DO YOU THINK.AND ARE THERE ANY OF YOU THAT CAN DRAW ON YOUR MANY, MANY, MANY :lol: YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND TELL US OF ANY MORE HOME CURES.YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :lol:
Hi,

We use Golden Eye,for minor eye infections.Opticrom for the dogs eyes if they get itchy from hayfever.We has just used Wartner,the freezing spray,to cure our Greyhounds corn.Worked a treat,she has no pain now as the corn has shrunk.

Pomesium Manganate for nail injuries.I was recommended this and it works better than anything else when i Whippet cross caught his nailbed.

Amandaxx

I always try to use natural remedies whenever possible.

Live yoghurt for poorly tummies. If there is a bit of diarrhoea too then I'll add slippery elm.

Tea tree cream for minor skin ailments or scratches

Aloe vera also good for skin blemishes but my dogs love the taste of it so it can only be used for parts they cannot reach or woulds which are covered up.

Aloe vera spray on the coat after brushing will leave their fur in really good condition.

When Hebe sliced her foot open :( at Tatton last summer it was superglued together (not by me, I'd have also got a couple of thumbs stuck in there :blink: )

It healed up brilliantly in a couple of weeks. Aloe vera gel helped in the later stages of healing.

Thorn-it powder is much better than ear drops for clearing up ear problems & generally keeping ears freash & clean. I always use it when plucking Raffertys ears.

I give the dogs an Omega 369 capsule every day to keep their joints flexible.

They also have garlic in their food a couple of times a week.

Touch wood :luck: , they are all healthy dogs & hopefully will stay that way :luck:

Ecchinacea tablets to keep the nasty infections at bay.

Mine have one tablet once a week, more if they've got a deep cut etc. and had to visit the vet to be glued, stitched etc.

Fleesh said:
Ecchinacea tablets to keep the nasty infections at bay.Mine have one tablet once a week, more if they've got a deep cut etc. and had to visit the vet to be glued, stitched etc.

ecchinwhatdafukia ?

some great tips and advice here. all noted for future reference !

PROPOLIS - its a bee resin , a natural antibiotic can be used for almost anything from cuts, ulcers, stomach upsets

what a realy good thread .

pepa got stung last summer and had a bad reacection her face swelled up she looked like a boxer bless her the e mergency vet told me to give her a fun peraton tablet it worked a treat but is there any thing else more natural I could have given her?

I'm surprised on ones yet mentioned lavender oil.....brill for all sorts of things like nettle & bee/wasp stings,cuts,open wounds,sores,calming :thumbsup:

I also use propolis,honey,cider vinegar,arnica,tree barks,apis mellifica & merc vic.

if youve got a pup teething and are going to a show and his ears are all over the place then rub bonjela for babies teething gel on their gums the night before a show.by morning his ears will have settled back down.

brylcreem anti dandruff for men is great if youve got a scurfy coat especially if its a black dog.

liverine unction is great for bald patches on ears,tail or thighs.

potassium permanganate crystals for dewclawing pups or a cut thats bleeding freely

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back