The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurcher non period whippet advice

Ellie123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello I’ve ran my dog in lurcher races and she’s a greyhound x whippet x saluki, is she classed as a non ped whippet? And what is a non ped whippet compared to a long dog? Is a non ped just whippet x greyhound?

She is a longdog as she is crossed with different sighthounds ...do you mean non pedigree

Ellie123, It is a bit confusing, as you said a cross between two or more sighthounds is a Long Dog. So yes your girl is one. But it could also be classified as a non ped Whippet in racing. These can be any combination, I have never been involved in non ped racing but most of the ones I've seen would be over weight for ped racing, I've seen classes for 'over 45 lb' But I will allow that they are faster than peds. So you could call your girl either a Long Dog Or a Non Ped Whippet, its up to you.

Ellie123, It is a bit confusing, as you said a cross between two or more sighthounds is a Long Dog. So yes your girl is one. But it could also be classified as a non ped Whippet in racing. These can be any combination, I have never been involved in non ped racing but most of the ones I've seen would be over weight for ped racing, I've seen classes for 'over 45 lb' But I will allow that they are faster than peds. So you could call your girl either a Long Dog Or a Non Ped Whippet, its up to you.
Brilliant thank you that’s made it so much clearer! Thanks for the help!

I was at some lurcher racing yesterday at long last.
It was good to see all the dogs enjoying themselves,doing what they do best,running full tilt.

Rinkydinkydo, every race I've seen, the dogs love it. It's obviously a very exciting day for them.

Rinkydinkydo, every race I've seen, the dogs love it. It's obviously a very exciting day for them.
B7768632-181F-49A4-AACF-51F48AC12906.jpeg

This is my girl she loves it

And it seems to come so naturally to them... Jasper's lure coursing career was very brief because of his temperament... But the first time he went, as a pup, he watched so intently I half expected him to pull out pen and paper and take notes. He had a run on his own, just him and the lure, and it was as if he'd been trained for it. Same when he was older and he had a practice run against a lab, with OH slipping him (he won).

It all went pear-shaped when a stranger (the official slipper) grabbed him by the collar and pulled him up alongside another fired-up lurcher, but... apart from that, it looked like he was born to it.

And it seems to come so naturally to them... Jasper's lure coursing career was very brief because of his temperament... But the first time he went, as a pup, he watched so intently I half expected him to pull out pen and paper and take notes. He had a run on his own, just him and the lure, and it was as if he'd been trained for it. Same when he was older and he had a practice run against a lab, with OH slipping him (he won).

It all went pear-shaped when a stranger (the official slipper) grabbed him by the collar and pulled him up alongside another fired-up lurcher, but... apart from that, it looked like he was born to it.

They absolutely love it!

JudyN, theirs a good reason it looked like he was born to it.................... He was. At our club over the years a number of people have brought a young (ish) adult Whippet asking if they can let it have a run saying things like I'm not sure he will do it cause he's only a pet. Virtually every time they run and enjoy themselves, getting more in to it so after a couple of goes they are up on their toes getting excited every time the lure starts and the traps open. One of the true joys of sight hounds is watching them fly along at full speed.

Nothing better to see then flying over the ground at breakneck speed, mine was hunters so there’s also dangers at 30 mph , looking back I was lucky on more than one occasion but that’s the life of a flying speedster

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back