The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurcher Vocabulary

TTT

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I have my first lurcher and I notice a big difference in her vocabulary compared to my other dogs - Jack Russells! The terriers vocabulary consists of barking, yapping and growling. The lurcher has a much wider range of sounds including noisy yawning sounds, expressive whines, random squeaks as well as howling, which at times is almost quite tuneful! (Well, sort of) :wacko:

Does any one else notice this?

You not had a Roo yet?

Both the whippets and our greyhound roo. It's generally given when you've not seen them for a while and they're particularly happy to see you.

Goes something like AAAAARRRRRROOOOOOOOOOO or AROOOO, RRROOO, RRRRRROOO usually accompanied by a waggy tail. :lol:

I love Roo's! :wub:

You not had a Roo yet?
Both the whippets and our greyhound roo. It's generally given when you've not seen them for a while and they're particularly happy to see you.

Goes something like AAAAARRRRRROOOOOOOOOOO or AROOOO, RRROOO, RRRRRROOO usually accompanied by a waggy tail. :lol:

That is a very good impression!!! aarrrrooooooo aarroooooo rooooo :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

You not had a Roo yet?

That is a very good impression!!! aarrrrooooooo aarroooooo rooooo :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

My lurcher didn't bark for three years.... eventually I managed to teach him to "speak" on command but then you have the problem of teaching him to NOT "speak" on command.

What we ended up with is a silent bark - or almost silent. Please excuse the stupid lift noises. The odd bark escapes but otherwise he just goes through the motions, as it were. :blink:

I have to agree LOL about this. I always thought it came from the greyhounds as have a mix of dogs and it tended to be them. When I first adopted a greyhound she was behind me and let out this almightly roar. She would always do it to gain attention. Another lurcher had a sound as if she was gargling,really weird and again would do that woo woo woo to gain everyones attention.

Overall I would say its a typical hound thing.

My two whippets both ''Roo'', as has been said, usually when I return after being out. I love it - it does sound like a weird singing noise. Arrroooo Rooo Roooo Roooo, starting high and getting lower :teehee: Some non- sighthound people have mistaken these noises for growling and think their dog is being nasty (until they learn better.)

My newly adopted whippet x saluki doesn't seem to do it as much, and I've also noticed she doesn't really roach (lie on her back with her feet in the air) like the whippet boys do either.

One of my dogs has also perfected an earsplitting echo bark, just at a pitch that makes your head vibrate. Does it when he's bored as he knows it is impossible to ignore as it is actually painful to the human ear! Horrible!

Hi
I have my first lurcher and I notice a big difference in her vocabulary compared to my other dogs - Jack Russells! The terriers vocabulary consists of barking, yapping and growling. The lurcher has a much wider range of sounds including noisy yawning sounds, expressive whines, random squeaks as well as howling, which at times is almost quite tuneful! (Well, sort of) :wacko:

Does any one else notice this?
yes ours sounds like he is actually talking to you.

we have a woo-er, her pet name is Zena but she is known as

Zenny-weeny-woo-woo - she talks to all her "pack" both dogs and humans

constantly. When out walking if I stop and chat to other dog-walkers which

happens fairly frequently as not many people walk 7 dogs at a time, (w00t)

Zena joins in and woo-woos. People who know her always greet her with

"morning Zena" and she always woo-woos back :p .she loves meeting

and greeting everyone :wub: Her talk is def more woooooooo than rooo.

When I arrive home the others bark, squeal, howl and whine but it is Zena who

runs along the top of the couch wooooooing that always gets the first pat.

Elaine

we have a woo-er, her pet name is Zena but she is known as Zenny-weeny-woo-woo - she talks to all her "pack" both dogs and humans

constantly. When out walking if I stop and chat to other dog-walkers which

happens fairly frequently as not many people walk 7 dogs at a time, (w00t)

Zena joins in and woo-woos. People who know her always greet her with

"morning Zena" and she always woo-woos back :p .she loves meeting

and greeting everyone :wub: Her talk is def more woooooooo than rooo.

When I arrive home the others bark, squeal, howl and whine but it is Zena who

runs along the top of the couch wooooooing that always gets the first pat.

Elaine
my lil woofy dog :wub:

Yes, that describes it very well...............wooing and rooing! Definitley a different language than the Jack Russells!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back