The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lure Coursing Meet.......edinburgh Area

Blue wrecking it

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Right. My lure machine is due back in the week and following the success of the summers fun we had im looking to organise a weekly or monthly meet up.

I know the weathers not ideal at the minute but my dogs would be out working if i hadnt just had an operation on my knee. Im just putting the feelers out to see if anybody would be interested.

It will be a lire course with 3/4 turns in. Fun stuff like hiding the lure and whatever. Muzzled or not, would be the preference of the owners depending on who they were running against. Or run by yourself.

It would be free of charge on my part, my lure, my battery etc.

I have a few working dogmen that are up for it too.

The only problem i am finding is land. I have land to run small scale but not accomodate more than 3/4 people as i habe moved house. Local football fields are fine for myself but to organise an event would need a better bit of land.

SO.... if anybody in the edinburgh/lothians has any land or knows anybody with some land willing to help out please let me know. It doesnt matter if its uphill or hilly, just aslong as its flat-ish ground (running dog ground) not looking for bowling greens or anything. Just safe ground.

This is obviously a summer sport but why not give it a go over the winter? If it goes well then there can be a permanent meet in the summer and as there is no lure coursing club in scotland- who knows, with land and people interested we could all get together and set up a club? Its a long way off but its a start.

This is all about fun for everybody. No serious competition involved. Any dogs welcome and any body welcom.

I will do my best on my part. All i can do is give my equipment and time.

We need others to join in with land/ground.

Its simple. Land + lure machine= lure coursing meet.

We have the machine and turns free of charge.

We just need some land.

Let get together and give it a go.

Wooohooo I'm in, with my two silkens and my friends whippet. We've been looking for something to do till the racing season starts again in April.

Now, land, well we live in Scotland so have the right to engage in sporting activities pretty much anywhere, the only problems with using 'common land' then are car parking and other dogs. There are plenty empty fields around here (east of Edinburgh).

I hope someone can volunteer a secure field but if not then football fields would work, as long as people weren't actually playing football on them at the time :)

I'm sue everyone taking part would be happy to pay a fee per run Blue, it will help towards maintenance etc of your lure.

Well thats a start. Ive emailed the council about using the football fields so waiting to hear back from them.

Cant see any problem with using the public fields, somebody is bound to complain!

Got around 15 people interested....god knows how many dogs.

Not after charging people but ive just paid to get the lure fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh definitely be up for that. Since Rumbling Bridge closed I haven't found anywhere else to go. I live north west of Glasgow so really would depend on the location as to whether it would be too far to go. I know most people who went to Rumbling bridge and I know they have been looking for securely fenced land without success so far. Will watch this space

Cheers

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back