The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lure Coursing

daztheman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi all i've got two lurchers just comeing up to six monthes old i've started showing them but i would realy like to get into raceing and lure coursing. wot age can i enter them i've got them chaseing a lure on the garden do i just enter them and see what happens or is there more training to do. many thanks. daz

We dont do lure coursing...

But with racing we started Tilly at about 7 months, you take them along and get them chasing the lure, then going through traps then full runs etc...

Then you race them with other dogs and if no problems you can clear them and get your passport...

This is how it happens with Ped racing, not sure about anything else

With lurcher racing and lure coursing just go along to a lurcher show that has racing, and just give them a go, lots of shows have puppy racing for the younger ones.

Hello there. Now I have been pro active in trying to introduce lurchers to lure coursing with the club of which I am a member viz East Anglian Whippet Coursing Club. This club ran some stakes for lurchers which proved to be very successful and added to the quality of sport at our meetings. . . . or so I thought. In their infinite wisdom however, the members have decided that stakes for lurchers should not be allowed for next season.I find this decision somewhat perplexing as the club is not innundated with active members and those willing to bring their lurchers along would have only added to the quality of sport and to the finances of the club . Am I being niave or have they shot themselves in the foot? I do suspect the latter. But then again, what do I know?

Bring on the lurchers :thumbsup:

LAMPINGMAN

lampy please tell me that isnyt true? will ring you soon ! :thumbsup:

In their infinite wisdom however, the members have decided that stakes for lurchers should not be allowed for next season.I find this decision somewhat perplexing as the club is not innundated with active members and those willing to bring their lurchers along would have only added to the quality of sport and to the finances of the club . Am I being niave or have they shot themselves in the foot? I do suspect the latter. But then again, what do I know?
Hi Lampy,

after many request's I put on 2 x 16 dog lure coursing meetings to run alongside the Whippet 1's.

at 1 meeting we had 16 entered and only 3 turned up at the 2nd 12 entered and 1 turned up.

The trouble is with the real (working type) lurcher lads their ok bragging on the internet ect about their dogs abilities but I find very few will actualy chance trying to back it up with actions.

Those that did turn up couldnt beleive how their "50 runs a night on the lamp lurchers" where knackard after 3-4 runs behind the lure.

maybe that could be why they've decided to leave them or did you get good entrys which if thats the case then it seems a bit daft.

:- " )

Mark Roberts said:
In their infinite wisdom however, the members have decided that stakes for lurchers should not be allowed for next season.I find this decision somewhat perplexing as the club is not innundated with active members and those willing to bring their lurchers along would have only added to the quality of sport and to the finances of the club . Am I being niave or have they shot themselves in the foot? I do suspect the latter. But then again, what do I know?
Hi Lampy,

after many request's I put on 2 x 16 dog lure coursing meetings to run alongside the Whippet 1's.

at 1 meeting we had 16 entered and only 3 turned up at the 2nd 12 entered and 1 turned up.

The trouble is with the real (working type) lurcher lads their ok bragging on the internet ect about their dogs abilities but I find very few will actualy chance trying to back it up with actions.

Those that did turn up couldnt beleive how their "50 runs a night on the lamp lurchers" where knackard after 3-4 runs behind the lure.

maybe that could be why they've decided to leave them or did you get good entrys which if thats the case then it seems a bit daft.

Yes we did have sufficient entries to just make it viable both from members and non members. With the few contacts I also had, there were other young dogs the owners of which had expressed great interest, waiting to come along when a few months older ie next autumn Additionally when non members and spectators came along a financial gain came to the club It was win win for the club but they voted lose lose. On the subject of entries, it is fair to say that (and I wouldn't call them timewasters :- " ) many express an interest and arrange to come but you don't see them. Thats par for the course I guess.

My view, if I may, is that the club to which I belong has and is still having great difficulty in re inventing itself, post Hunting Act. When we coursed hare there was a queue of people as you well know waiting to join the club and stringent constraints could be applied. Not so nowadays quite clearly. All the more reason therefore to relax restrictions with a view to attracting more interest. I know that to grasp this fact is not far short of rocket science :) but not really beyond the wit of man(or should I say woman) to appreciate the importance. Hey Ho . Must rush, got to go and stick MY head in the sand as well maybe. :thumbsup:

Banging the drum for common sense

LAMPINGMAN (w00t)

Well in that case it does seem a little strange that they have voted against running lurcher stakes, i'm sure theres a good reason but I must admit if the entrys are there it doesnt make sense.

i'm sure with your charms you'll be able to win over the hearts of the dubters. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back