The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

'lure Racing' By Archer Aged Almost 5 Mths.

peony

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Huge thanks to Tinabow and AmandaWorcester for helping me today with Archer and his first experience of being a proper growed up, lure chasing kinda chap :thumbsup:

He is now a fully paid up member of the Whippet Club at Worcester and I look forward to meeting more people from there. I saw some lovely dogs today and everyone I met was incredibly friendly ...............thanks everyone!

This is how it all looked to the small boy

S7000679.jpg

He isnt quite sure what Tina is doing with her arms, but he thinks its bound to be ok 'cos she is such a friendly lady.

And this is what happens when you get home after having had two goes at chasing the big rattly plastic monster. :wub:

S7000681.jpg

People all made nice comments about him and the general consensus of opinion is that he is going to be a quite big boy when hes older.

Must just add, I did almost leave him there and swap him for Jo's Gwilliam, who is perhaps the most handsome boy in the world EVER :wub:

oooooooo peony u have to meet me yet lol im a very freindly chat lol good luck with ye pup

HEY YOU DIDNT TELL ME ON THE FONE YOU TOOK SOME PIX TOO ! HE LOOKS GREAT...DIDNT I TELL YOU HED CHASE THE LURE :- "

J :) HN

aww bless him he took it all in his stride

lovely friendly boy

must get his name right :- "

nice to meet you and nick again

hope to see you soon

Yay!! I'm glad you've started Archer running at Worcestor :cheers: Best of luck with his training :luck:

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacanory! :p xxx

yay!way to go archer! :thumbsup: good luck with him hun! :luck: :luck: :luck:

kris said:
yay!way to go archer! :thumbsup: good luck with him hun! :luck:   :luck:   :luck:
None of my buisness anymore ,but i recon he's far to young an under developed to be let of the lead at the lure for a few months yet.Plenty of looking ,yes ,but chacing for me would be a big no,no,especialy in a straight line,where he might just out run his wee leg's and do some damege.I would give him plenty of short stuff,on a bamboo stick and a piece of string,with an old bit of a sheepskin rug or summit.Some might not agree, but i recon a bit more teasing first,n then let him have a go ,when he realy wants it.Run him to early and he'll get to smart and start slowing down at the end of the chase,waiting for it to stop. Thats where you lose races. But as i say,none of my buisness,so good luck with him Caroline. ....Billy...

Billy, just as you have concern for young pups as does Worcestor club that has a wealth of experienced members. I doubt Archer would have run the full length of the track especially as this was his first ever time and suspect he's probably just been allowed to play with the lure and have nothing more than a little dash.

billyboy45 said:
kris said:
yay!way to go archer! :thumbsup: good luck with him hun! :luck:   :luck:   :luck:
None of my buisness anymore ,but i recon he's far to young an under developed to be let of the lead at the lure for a few months yet.Plenty of looking ,yes ,but chacing for me would be a big no,no,especialy in a straight line,where he might just out run his wee leg's and do some damege.I would give him plenty of short stuff,on a bamboo stick and a piece of string,with an old bit of a sheepskin rug or summit.Some might not agree, but i recon a bit more teasing first,n then let him have a go ,when he realy wants it.Run him to early and he'll get to smart and start slowing down at the end of the chase,waiting for it to stop. Thats where you lose races. But as i say,none of my buisness,so good luck with him Caroline. ....Billy...

Ok, before I start, I want to make it known that I am a total novice where it comes to this lure racing lark and I am here to pick peoples brains as the majority of you k9ers have more experience/knowledge etc than me. :blink:

I am prepared to take on board suggestions, advice, criticism etc etc but am finding it quite hard to follow such opposing trains of thought. :(

So, today, I went to Worcester with Archer and for about 2 hours, he was on his lead, watching the other dogs come out of the traps, be hand slipped and generally have fun with the lure. I had taken Archer to show him what goes on in the dog world, mostly because with my other dog, I left it far too late and he just cant see the point of exerting any energy over a stupid bundle of plastic.

:) Archer took a huge interest in the proceedings and each time the lure passed him, he was very keen to join in and leapt about all over the place. It was quite hard to keep hold of him and NOT make him think that I was against him chasing the lure, but obviously I didnt want him doing too much.

After the trialling had finished, I was asked if I wanted to let Archer have a go and I agreed. So, he had two runs of 25 yards, on his own, after the lure, which he thoroughly enjoyed. Was I wrong to do this?

When I exercise the dogs on a daily basis, Archer gets up twice as much speed and will run the length of a rugby pitch, in hot pursuit of the other dogs. Am I wrong to do this?

At the end of the day, I just want whats best for the health and wellbeing of my boy :wacko:

absolutely not ! i know for a fact that when you take your gang out for a walk to the rugby pitches you let him free-run with the rest... so im assuming that today when he ran at the lure he probably covered less ground !

common sense tells you not to run him excessively over distance or time. if hes busting his "nads" to get at the lure then let him have it...in moderation.

famous words to remember..."SLOWLY SLOWLY CATCHY MONKEY"

J :thumbsup: HN

stormydog said:
absolutely not !  i know for a fact that when you take your gang out for a walk to the rugby pitches you let him free-run with the rest... so im assuming that today when he ran at the lure he probably covered less ground !common sense tells you not to run him excessively over distance or time. if hes busting his "nads" to get at the lure then let him have it...in moderation.

famous words to remember..."SLOWLY SLOWLY CATCHY MONKEY"

J :thumbsup: HN

Where have I heard that before John ;)

peony said:
billyboy45 said:
kris said:

Ok, before I start, I want to make it known that I am a total novice where it comes to this lure racing lark and I am here to pick peoples brains as the majority of you k9ers have more experience/knowledge etc than me. :blink:

I am prepared to take on board suggestions, advice, criticism etc etc but am finding it quite hard to follow such opposing trains of thought. :(

So, today, I went to Worcester with Archer and for about 2 hours, he was on his lead, watching the other dogs come out of the traps, be hand slipped and generally have fun with the lure. I had taken Archer to show him what goes on in the dog world, mostly because with my other dog, I left it far too late and he just cant see the point of exerting any energy over a stupid bundle of plastic.

:) Archer took a huge interest in the proceedings and each time the lure passed him, he was very keen to join in and leapt about all over the place. It was quite hard to keep hold of him and NOT make him think that I was against him chasing the lure, but obviously I didnt want him doing too much.

After the trialling had finished, I was asked if I wanted to let Archer have a go and I agreed. So, he had two runs of 25 yards, on his own, after the lure, which he thoroughly enjoyed. Was I wrong to do this?

When I exercise the dogs on a daily basis, Archer gets up twice as much speed and will run the length of a rugby pitch, in hot pursuit of the other dogs. Am I wrong to do this?

At the end of the day, I just want whats best for the health and wellbeing of my boy :wacko:

Sorry if ive upset you Caroline ,but its more a safety concern than anything else realy .And its just that Archer is going to be a big boy and not one of youre wee Whippet type's,who can start at 5 or 6 months,and as you didnt say that he only went about 25 yrds i thought maybe ,that you'd givin him more,with not knowin much about racing.Certainly ,give him the odd wee run like that,but be careful,cause although you might not realize it ,he will be putting in a lot more on that wee run,than he probibly will be ,the whole way up the rugger field.I have made the same mistake and suffered the concequenses,when the pups couldnt control their legs when they went after summit for the first time ,and just didnt realize their wee legs had an extra gear,that wasnt there before.On Silvers first run,at 5n1/2 months old,he broke his 4 metacarpels,on front left,a bitch from Cornish Bob n Tarn broke her back at 5 month's old after jumping out of the paddock to join the racing dogs who were chasing the lure,she went about 50 yrds,over ground that she was reared on.These were virtualy reared in the field,as their paddock was over 1/2 an acre .So you see where the concern is coming from.He will chase ,of that ive no doubt,as the rest of the litter seem to want to kill plastic bags,or anything else that blows across the garden.All im giving them at the minute,is a bit of ragging about in the pen with a bit of sheepskin rug,just to get the competition to come out in them.Its only a matter of time till they get their first kill,as the neighbour is up to about 20 cats again ,and with breeding season on the way,they'll soon be getting a mouthfull ,as ive no control as to what comes into the pens and what doesnt come out.They've been trying to get one for a while now ,so its only a matter of time till one makes a mistake.Dangerous times i know,but i just hope the pups come out of it safely ,whatever time it happens. ...Billy...

Sorry if ive upset you Caroline ,but its more a safety concern than anything else realy .And its just that Archer is going to be a big boy and not one of youre wee Whippet type's,who can start at 5 or 6 months,and as you didnt say that he only went about 25 yrds i thought maybe ,that you'd givin him more,with not knowin much about racing.Certainly ,give him the odd wee run like that,but be careful,cause although you might not realize it ,he will be putting in a lot more on that wee run,than he probibly will be ,the whole way up the rugger field.I have made the same mistake and suffered the concequenses,when the pups couldnt control their legs when they went after summit for the first time ,and just didnt realize their wee legs had an extra gear,that wasnt there before.On Silvers first run,at 5n1/2 months old,he broke his 4 metacarpels,on front left,a bitch from Cornish Bob n Tarn broke her back at 5 month's old after jumping out of the paddock to join the racing dogs who were chasing the lure,she went about 50 yrds,over ground that she was reared on.These were virtualy reared in the field,as their paddock was over 1/2 an acre .So you see where the concern is coming from.He will chase ,of that ive no doubt,as the rest of the litter seem to want to kill plastic bags,or anything else that blows across the garden.All im giving them at the minute,is a bit of ragging about in the pen with a bit of sheepskin rug,just to get the competition to come out in them.Its only a matter of time till they get their first kill,as the neighbour is up to about 20 cats again ,and with breeding season on the way,they'll soon be getting a mouthfull ,as ive no control as to what comes into the pens and what doesnt come out.They've been trying to get one for a while now ,so its only a matter of time till one makes a mistake.Dangerous times i know,but i just hope the pups come out of it safely ,whatever time it happens. ...Billy...

Dont worry Billy, you havent 'upset' me ................... but I am a little disappointed that you thought I might treat Archer in a way which might be detrimental to his future and wellbeing :wacko:

personaly i would just let him watch for a while him only been 5 months old and just let him av a shake on a lure thats not movin to many pups these days gettin started off to young and damaging there selfs like john says slowly slowly he as a runnin career for maybe 4-5 years why spoil it in 5 months.

peony said:

Dont worry Billy, you havent 'upset' me ................... but I am a little disappointed that you thought I might treat Archer in a way which might be detrimental to his future and wellbeing :wacko:

Catch a grip girl,i know that you are doing youre best by him,and always will.But listen,even us with all the experience can get it wrong sometime's and im only trying to help you not make the same mistakes that some of us big boys,so to speak can and do make.Although some on here wont admit it,we do get it wrong sometimes too no matter how much experience we have.Or am i one of the only one's who will admit that i fall a long way short when it come's to (knowing it all). ...Billy...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back