The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lures

KEVO

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
where would i be able to buy a lure from, is there any online places that sell them?

Hi Kevo try ,www.jansgifts.co.uk . She has got most things . allthe best Paul Cork

Paul Cork said:
Hi Kevo try ,www.jansgifts.co.uk . She has got most things . allthe best Paul Cork
Just out of interest, what do your lure coursing lures look like?

What do your pulleys look like?

Do you run a continuous loop or a re-strung type of course?

What ditances do you set up?

BSFA meets are continous loop & are based on the yankee model. The chap who started it John (forgot his 2nd name) was the chap who did all the effects for the Bond, Star Wars films. He saw LC in the states & got hooked. He was obviously a genius & he threw a few touch's of his own in but basically pulleys, line etc follow the American stuff. Lure is a scrappy bit of plastic. Courses can go from 450 to 650 all depends on the area allowed to run on.

BSFA meeting's have the best atmosphere of any dog event I have ever been to.

Very sporting, helpful people & no sour grapes from the losers. Very laid back & friendly. Only drawback is the CL system, I personally feel a truly fast dog could get into very serious trouble if it went wrong at all.

Lurcher shows usually run drag lures, lure can be anything pelt, rag etc some don't even use pulleys but drag around poles in the ground. Again distances are dictated by area allowed.

I'm sure there are some on this list can give you more details of the various systems around than me.

Probably just a little shy.

Terry Smith said:
The chap who started it John (forgot his 2nd name) was the chap who did all the effects for the Bond, Star Wars films. He was obviously a genius & he threw a few touch's of his own.
BSFA meeting's have the best atmosphere of any dog event I have ever been to.  Very sporting, helpful people & no sour grapes from the losers. Very laid back & friendly.

Only drawback is the CL system, I personally feel a truly fast dog could get into very serious trouble if it went wrong at all.
Don't understand what you mean here Terry. Are you talking about a dog crossing the line and getting caught? If so, at the BSFA meeting the lure operator is watching the hounds all the time and the huntmaster has a knife so the minute a hound gets even slightly caught up, the line is cut and assistance will be speedily given. Safety for the hounds is of paramount importance to the BSFA.

It was John Stears idea, what a lovely man he was and greatly missed.

I am glad to hear that you enjoy the meetings so much, I haven't been to many this year because showing seems to have taken priority but can't wait to go to Ginger McCain's place again in September, what a lovely venue. Hope to see you there!!!

Hi Kevo

I run lure coursing meetings in the Northwest (Lancashire) useing the US pullys bought from Injoy.

We dont run a continues loop as most who run at it had reservations about the safty of their dogs and the line constantly being on the ground so we use a take up drag.

we've got a meeting arranged for this weekend (Saturday the 16th of August) at the Heart Of England Whippet Racing Clubs ground which is 5 mins from the Tamworth Services just off jnc 11 on the M42 in the midlands, a realy friendly club with good facilitys you're more than welcome to come and have a look and a chat.

anyone interested in running a dog at the meeting is more than welcome to contact me for more details.

you can e/mail me at lurecoursing@parkstonewhippets.co.uk of ring me on 07903 624876

PS: I used to make lures and at the moment i'm looking into starting to do them again as i've had a lot of request for them.

dessie said:
Don't understand what you mean here Terry.  Are you talking about a dog crossing the line and getting caught?  If so, at the BSFA meeting the lure operator is watching the hounds all the time and the huntmaster has a knife so the minute a hound gets even slightly caught up, the line is cut and assistance will be speedily given.  Safety for the hounds is of paramount importance to the BSFA.
I personally think a dog that stays up well with the lure could get severe injuries to the mouth if it lunged & tried to take the lure on the move. Also a dog that "cases" the course can blunder into the line at full speed. The line is by necessity very fine & has the capabilities of a cheese cutter at speed. Soft tissue has little chance against nylon line if it is moving fast. I think Afghans, Borzois, I/Wolfhounds are pretty safe. The line never gets moving that fast for them. Whippets & to a certain extent Salukis are a different kettle of fish as they can still move like proper sighthounds.

I know that the ground team usually operate to the finest standards & the safety of the dogs is paramount. However one of our bitches suffered a severe line burn right across her inner thigh. She had managed to get the line right around the thigh somehow (brains aren't her big thing) :( . The nearest steward was pretty inexperienced & stood knife in hand waiting for instructions from some one else. In fact I had got my own knife out of my pocket & unfolded before he made any serious move. Fortunately Keith (on the far side of the field) had realised what was going on & stopped the lure. It took a long time to heal but no real damage done, however it could have been very serious.

Isn't there a meeting at Radway this W/E. Time permitting we hope to make it to one meeting at least.

That was very unfortunate for your Whippet, Terry, I am sorry to hear it. The finer skinned ones of mine have had marks on their legs but I can't say that they were really even injured with a line burn.

One Whippet bitch actually picked up the line whilst it was running at the Newbury meeting where I judged but she was perfectly OK and, of course, the line was stopped straight away.

There certainly is a meeting this coming weekend but Millie and I are at East Anglian Whippet Ch show so will unfortunately miss it. Have fun if you go.

Kevo I have seen them on ebay for sale before but I haven't seen one for a while

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back