The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Maggots

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Jan Doherty said:
I could hear the maggots in the bin last night crunching and munching :x

They're doing their job then. :p Some hospitals have gone back to using maggots on infected skin on patients, or so i've heard. They're wonderful at eating dead skin and cleaning wounds, thus promoting healing. They're not such bad little things o:) ...they clear up a lot of rotting matter.

Just hope I don't get any :oops:

Seraphina said:
midlanderkeith said:
whats wrong with terry towelling nappies, i paid £1 for 8 best quality nappies fer my two kids., cant you still buy them these days

I think they may be little bit more nowadays :lol:

I was lucky, my best friend bought me a year subscription to Nappy Wash Service, and we kept it up after that.

Never bought a nappy, never washed a nappy - beautiful. :thumbsup:

We should not be wasting our land for dumping stuff that can be dealt with other ways. :)

Yes , a couple I know use a similar service, and it works out cheaper then the disposable nappies apparently.

I couldn't agree with you more about your last sentence :thumbsup:

Excellent...long live maggots...and we're still on topic :cheers:

Still hope I don't get any though :p

My son Ben being a fisherman would say colect them up and sell them to the local fishermen :x disgusting child

while we are on subject of grossaties in bins...how do most of you guys dispose of dog poop when you scoop it up out of the garden? i double bag and put in bin, but i really hate doing it as now its warm weather i can whiff it !and dont feel very environmentaly friendly either! (doing it, not smelling it!) :x cant believe peeps with more than 4 ish dogs do this? its bad enough with my 3! Thought about getting one of those doggy toilet things that you plant in the ground but dont know how good they are? can they cope with lots of poo!? (w00t)

sorry SLIGHTLY off topic! :oops: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
whippynit said:
while we are on subject of grossaties in bins...how do most of you guys dispose of dog poop when you scoop it up out of the garden? i double bag and put in bin, but i really hate doing it as now its warm weather i can whiff it !and dont feel very environmentaly friendly either! (doing it, not smelling it!)  :x   cant believe peeps with more than 4 ish dogs do this? its bad enough with my 3! Thought about getting one of those doggy toilet things that you plant in the ground but dont know how good they are? can they cope with lots of poo!? (w00t)
sorry SLIGHTLY off topic! :oops:   :lol:

Right you lucky peeps, bag it all up as much as you want, :lol: bung it over to me and i.ll show you where my lot goes, pic to follow tomorrow

:cheers:

keith

moriarte said:
Rae said:
I'd like to know more about a dog poo wormery  (w00t)   8)   :x
Don't know about ones specifically for this use but here is a normal one:

can-o-worms wormery

I have a slug-ery for mine at the bottom of the garden - they gobble it up very quickly :) I do have a very long garden though.

Yes I see the slugs eating it :x in the woods - where did you get a slugery from Elizabeth? or did you capture 'wild' ones?! :p

Nicola said:
Jan Doherty said:
I could hear the maggots in the bin last night crunching and munching :x

They're doing their job then. :p Some hospitals have gone back to using maggots on infected skin on patients, or so i've heard. They're wonderful at eating dead skin and cleaning wounds, thus promoting healing. They're not such bad little things o:) ...they clear up a lot of rotting matter.

Just hope I don't get any :oops:

Totally off topic here (still about maggots) but the company I work for is developing a wound dressing which contains maggot extract :x so hopefully the dressing will have the same effect on a wound as maggots but without the 'wriggle' :lol:

Luckily I don't work on this project :sweating:

whippynit said:
while we are on subject of grossaties in bins...how do most of you guys dispose of dog poop when you scoop it up out of the garden? i double bag and put in bin, but i really hate doing it as now its warm weather i can whiff it !and dont feel very environmentaly friendly either! (doing it, not smelling it!)  :x   cant believe peeps with more than 4 ish dogs do this? its bad enough with my 3! Thought about getting one of those doggy toilet things that you plant in the ground but dont know how good they are? can they cope with lots of poo!? (w00t)
sorry SLIGHTLY off topic! :oops:   :lol:

Do you have a manhole cover in your garden? Can you lift it? If yes, throw it down the sewers. The sluggery/wormery sounds like a grand idea, but wonder how long this would take, and how much they could cope with :x

Rae said:
Yes I see the slugs eating it  :x   in the woods  - where did you get a slugery from Elizabeth? or did you capture 'wild' ones?!  :p
It's just a lovely thick patch of ivy, the slugs just appear as if by magic - it's good to know they do something useful apart from trashing the veg. As I said, it's a long garden with no neighbours to complain (apart from the owls :lol: )

Wasn't there another thread at some point about composting dog poo? I wouldn't fancy composting it myself unless I had a huge heap that I knew was definitely going to get up to 'cooking' temperature (if you get the mixture right they will actually let off steam, even in summer (w00t) ).

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back