The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Male or female?

colettedb

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We are looking to add another dog to our home in the next few months and although I would prefer another girl, I have read a fair bit advising not to have 2 females together and nothing saying it is fine! Is this a myth or is there actual science here? We are looking for a cocker spaniel, beagle or collie that will thrive around a Labrador while also being a good match for August.

It's not a given, but when girls have a falling out, it's often serious and permanent. They say boys fight for the right to breed, girls fight for the right to breathe.

Would it be a puppy or an adult?

I was thinking if it was to be an adult rescue, maybe you could foster before committing to see how August and dog 2 get on.

That may not suit your plan though.

I agree - whereas two males will often be happy with each other, it isn't a given with females (says she who once had 6 bitches in a small house - but boy! was it a lot of forseeing and pre-empting) and if it goes wrong between them, it's permanent.

Thanks - my son didn’t keep august as the behaviourist advised not a good idea with the mother so great for me it that sense. I would prefer an older dog - under 5 years old as an older dog may find a Labrador too much.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back